Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Was Just Wondering What Kinds Of Problems Are Associated With Timing Belts Going Bad? Any Kinds Of Jerking Or Vibrations. Like My 2000 Passat 1.8t Does This Small Jerk Whenever I Stomp On The Gas And Then Takes Off. Someone Please Help Me!!! Lol

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
Timing belts almost always give no clues they are going out. The exception is skipping a tooth which makes the engine run a little different. Your jerking is something else.

·
the Sal wannabe
4,901 Posts
I Was Just Wondering What Kinds Of Problems Are Associated With Timing Belts Going Bad? Any Kinds Of Jerking Or Vibrations. Like My 2000 Passat 1.8t Does This Small Jerk Whenever I Stomp On The Gas And Then Takes Off. Someone Please Help Me!!! Lol

how many miles on your car?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Stop Capitalizing Every Word. You're Writing A Sentence, Not The Title Of A Book.

A failing timing belt will exhibit the following two symptoms within approximately 24 hours of each other:

1. A loud BANG!
2. The sudden appearance of a $5000 repair bill.

If you don't know when it was last done, get it done now. Better safe than sorry.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
Stop Capitalizing Every Word. You're Writing A Sentence, Not The Title Of A Book.

A failing timing belt will exhibit the following two symptoms within approximately 24 hours of each other:

1. A loud BANG!
2. The sudden appearance of a $5000 repair bill.

If you don't know when it was last done, get it done now. Better safe than sorry.
UNLESS!!!

well, no unless for the loud bang, but the repair bill is negociable.
read your manual. if it goes boom before the recomended maintenance schedual in the booklet, then it's on Vw's tab. (if it's stock)

with the numerous times i've taken my v6 into service, i've kept asking around about the TB, and a great many times they've said that if it breaks before what the manual says to get it changed at, then basically VW covers it.

however, as for the 1.8t series...
you can't solely rely on what the manual says. they reprinted a bit of info in the form of that letter they sent out. best to follow that. at 80k, if your TB breaks on a 1.8t.... you're hosed.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
UNLESS!!!

with the numerous times i've taken my v6 into service, i've kept asking around about the TB, and a great many times they've said that if it breaks before what the manual says to get it changed at, then basically VW covers it.
Only if you are the original owner and have all of the service records.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts