Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a timing belt project on a 2.8 without removing the front end? There is not a lot of room, but with the fans and shrouds out of the way, maybe it is possible. I was able to do this on my A6 2.8 but there was about twice as much room just not sure about the Passat.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Has anyone done a timing belt project on a 2.8 without removing the front end? There is not a lot of room, but with the fans and shrouds out of the way, maybe it is possible. I was able to do this on my A6 2.8 but there was about twice as much room just not sure about the Passat.
cant be done........

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
It's more trouble to pull the shrouds than the front end.

·
Registered
121 Posts
IIRC :

Small male torx bits, 2 different sizes for the wheel arch covers to bumper skin screws and for the top of the grille cover.
Long nose pliers for the bonnet release puller
10mm socket/spanner for bumper skin to wing bolts under the indicators
40mm-ish long male torx bit for the steel (alu?) bumper
Large pliers/ pipe grips for the radiator top hose. You don't have to remove but I would rather lose a bit of coolant than struggle for space.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
IIRC :

Small male torx bits, 2 different sizes for the wheel arch covers to bumper skin screws and for the top of the grille cover.
Long nose pliers for the bonnet release puller
10mm socket/spanner for bumper skin to wing bolts under the indicators
40mm-ish long male torx bit for the steel (alu?) bumper
Large pliers/ pipe grips for the radiator top hose. You don't have to remove but I would rather lose a bit of coolant than struggle for space.
You also need a pair of long metric bolts (forgot the size) or smooth rod to support the carrier once it's unbolted.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I use the front engine mount/carrier mount to support the carrier. It just hangs forward fine on that and cant go too far because of the bonnet release cable. I find it gives much more room to work.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I use the front engine mount/carrier mount to support the carrier. It just hangs forward fine on that and cant go too far because of the bonnet release cable. I find it gives much more room to work.
You guys must have mountains of metric bolts over there. Over here you need to go to a specialty supplier. I'd get a set. If the carrier falls, it will most likely break something much more expensive than a set of bolts. My setup with bolts and bits of aluminum tube was under $10.

·
Registered
28,354 Posts
Bumper bolts on the B5 can be used to hang the front. On the B5.5 a set of screwdrivers work fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts