Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bad news...

for the record, i had my timingbelt, tensioner, and water pump all replaced about 20k miles ago, at a local reputable shop here in Jersey.

I was driving yesterday, and all of a sudden heard some strange noise, almost like cans falling on the ground.....car all of a sudden loses power.

Could this be that my timing belt broke? even after i had it replaced as preventative maintenance 20k miles ago?

car turns, but wont start. even when it turns, it sounds very different.

Any help would be great....

Not that this matters, but after owning such a nightmare,I vow to never ever buy a VW again, what a piece of SH$%!!!!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Take it back to the shop you had it done at... I would imagine they would be responsible for the premature failure. If its cranking but not turning, its probably your timing belt :(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any other ideas maybe?? this incident is so darn depressing....

if worst case head and block are both damaged, whats a rough idea of a used motor replacement using a v6? should i just go nuts and slap in a 2.7t if its just as expemsive?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
well either way dont try to start it again

thats how my dad F'ed his car ( timeing belt failure in a honda ( apprently they dont have much damage if you imedaly put it in nutral) but he kept trying to start it)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
terrific....i did try a few times to start it, but no luck.

well, i did immediately throw it into neutral when i heard funny noises, and pulled over immediately.

i hope nothing happened from trying to restart the motor...hopefully the case is different than from the honda you mentioned.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well,

i took it to the dealer, and they will be checking it out for me....unless i can check myself???

if i can, i assume it would require removing the front engine-cover?

thanks for the concern, i will certainly update you tomorrow, thanks...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey, the same thing happened to me yesterday evening in my 2001 1.8T (72K miles). I was just driving down the highway and all power went away, so I pulled over to the side and tried to restart it once. When I noticed that it did not sound like it normally does when it is cranking I realized it had to be a broken timing belt.

When I talked to the dealer today, the service writer looked up the timing belt change interval in their book and it said 105K. After he saw that, he told me he thinks it should be covered under warranty since they only check it at certain intervals and that was done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just called the dealer and talked to the service manager that I spoke with on Thursday night. He is telling me that there is head damage and altogether with over 3K in parts, I will be looking at $6000! :shock: How is that even possible?

Unfortunately I moved about eight months ago and I don't know if I can locate my paperwork for the timing belt checks. I had them done, but not at the dealer. If not, then they are saying it will not be covered under warranty. He says if that is the case, I should get my insurance company involved. Has anyone heard of an insurance company paying for a repair like this one? How does that work?

Please help!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds to me like VW is willing to cover all the damage under warranty if you can prove you had the belt checked at the required intervals. But YOU lost the receipts.

VW probably wouldn't do this if they knew a non-VW shop had already replaced the belt 20K miles ago. Sounds like they did a crappy job or used crappy parts. Won't they stand behind their work?

So, I guess I'd blame you for the 1st problem and the indy shop for the second. But if it makes you feel better to call the car a POS, then by all means, enjoy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
B5Skvir
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing