Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a reasonable price to have the timing belt changed on a v6 passat? Does the tensioner have to be replaced also? I notice the 1.8T belt is sold with the tensioner, but I can't seem to find a tensioner sold with the v6 belt.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I recently had my timing belt replaced on my 1.8t. with installation and everything it was $800+ by the dealer. Good luck with this cuz i think it's a bit high! Let me know if you get a better deal

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will do. I Hope it's not that much for the v6 or the rest of my tax return is gone.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Is it really that expensive to have the timing belt replaced? I'm just about to hit 30k on my GLX, and am thinking about doing a precautionary change at 40-50k. Though, if it's that much to replace a V6 timing belt, hopefully it's not too difficult to do myself... :wink:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
v6 says change every 75000 miles. I don't see a precautionary change worth it. Isn't there a power train warranty on all VW for 100,000 miles? If it did go, your car would still be under warranty, right? If you do, could you let me know the cost?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I already checked, VW won't cover this under their warrenty. even though it doesn't mention anything about changing the 1.8t's timming belts. you are right that you should change them around 70K on the V6.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, they don't change it under warranty because it's a wear and tear part. What was meant is that if it does break while your car is under warranty, they'd have to take care of the problem. Knowing them, they may not. I've been thinking of doing it myself, but don't want to mess anything up. If you do it yourself, would you let me know how hard it is? TIA

·
Registered
98 Posts
from what i understand if your timming belt breaks your gonna have way more trouble than you ever want. but knowing VW they wont pay for it anyway!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get the timing belt kit, water pump, and the timing belt dampner for the V6 from ECS Tuning and have an indie shop do it for you. I got the parts for $350 incl shipping and paid my mechanic for 5.5 hours labor and some seals from the dealer. I don't know if it was the most cost effective way, but I really trust my guy.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The V6 job should cost more because it's a little more involved. But I think $800 for the 1.8T job was really high. I promise that for $800 I'd do anybody's V6 timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, accesory belt, and coolant flush including labor here at home in my garage, and I might even wash the car before you picked it up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts