Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over at VWVortex, but since its a technical question, nobody seems to know or care over there.

Anyhow, I'll repeat here.
I just picked up my 2000 Passat Wagon V6, and on page 8 of Booklet 1.1 in the owners manual, it states that the timing belt and tensioning roller should be checked at 40,000 miles, but then it is recommended to change at 60,000 for CA, VT, and MA (I'm in Massachusetts). BUT, otherwise it says to replace the belt at 105,000 miles. What gives here??!! What makes these 3 states different.

I know that there is special emissions equipment added in CA and MA originating VWs, and maybe VT too. Could this have something to do with it. However, my car came from New Jersey, so it shouldn't have that stuff.

Does anyone know why Passats in these 3 states need to change the timing belt at almost half the distance than the rest of the country?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'm only guessing, but I think you're on the right track. CA's CARB mandates lots of things on a tighter schedule than the Federal gov't. I know some of the NE states are following the CARB recommendations (that's why u'all ain't gettin' the TDI Passat in Massachusetts). I doubt that the car actually has different equipment, although I guess it's possible. I think my 2003 model is certified 50 states, but don't hold me to that.

While on the topic, let me be the first to mention to you that your warranty is reduced. I strongly recommend that you don't wait until 105K for the belt change. The cost of repair should the belt break can be very high (in the thousands). Do a search on that topic for more info. You'll want to change the water pump while you're in there, too.

BTW, I see you're on post #5. Welcome to Clubb5!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm taking it to the dealer this week to have the LATCH bars installed in the rear (free service outlined in a TSB) and I'll ask them about it. 105k seems to long, while Audi I believe states 90k.

I was thinking about it in a mechanical sense, but as you mention it, maybe its because having the timing in perfect order will create less emissions, which both CA and MA are all over. And since making a timing adjustment involves removing the belt anyway I think, its recommended to replace while in there. Just a first theory.

And yes, since I am now the owner of a Passat, and recently joined, Thanks. I got it Friday night, and have already put on 120 miles since I love driving it so much.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
And yes, since I am now the owner of a Passat, and recently joined, Thanks. I got it Friday night, and have already put on 120 miles since I love driving it so much.
Welcome to our addiction!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts