Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my timing belt and water pump with ECS's Ultimate timing belt kit yesterdaysince the Passat is at 62K miles. Also replaced vacuum lines while I was in there. No more whoosh whoosh sound! The engine just purrs now. 8)
Just want to thank DaddyMat and his writeup. I just followed it and opened up my Bentley only to find out how to do the waterpump.
This board is such a great resource.

·
Registered
254 Posts
How long did it take? I'm planning on doing the same thing ASAP as my car has 65k.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
sweet i'm doing mine in a few weeks :bow:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Sweet. I wish I had the guts to do it myself and save some money. I am guessing 8-10 hours worth of work...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
How did your belt and tensioner look? I had mine done at 67000, and both looked good, but you never know...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started at 2:00 pm and ended at 8:00 pm. Of course then I saw that I had left the aluminum bumper re-enforcement under my bench :crazy: so I had to pull the bumper cover back off to put that back on so I guess I really ended about 9:00pm. :weirdo:
Both the water pump and the tensioner appeared fine but I was having some woosh woosh sound coming from one of them. Since I replaced both at the same time, I don't know which was making the noise.

If I had to do it again, I bet I could do it in under 4 hours.
With the money I saved, I took the family out to dinner and a movie! :lol:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Good job Ace, :thumbup: glad I could help. You had me worried for a minute though...I had to go back to the writeup and make sure I hadn't left out the part about putting the bumper back on. :weirdo:

Cool! This is my 1000th post...finally I'm in 3rd Gear! :lol:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Any tip or tricks that might help those of us who haven't done this yet. I'm at 63K and plan on ordering the ECS kit in the next month or so. What did you use to hold the bumper in the "service" position? (hardened bolts, rod, etc.). Thanks for any insight not in the writeup.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
lawless said:
Any tip or tricks that might help those of us who haven't done this yet. I'm at 63K and plan on ordering the ECS kit in the next month or so. What did you use to hold the bumper in the "service" position? (hardened bolts, rod, etc.). Thanks for any insight not in the writeup.
Not to hijack ACE's post, but...the way I did it, the bumper itself comes off altogether. I wedged a couple of short pieces of 2-by-4 between the "Lock Carrier" and the frame. I tried to put all the pertinent hints in the writeup, but if you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have to say you guys have some serious stones to do it yourself, especially on a high end service like the timing belt, but :thumbup:
Does DIY affect any warranties? or can you just show proof you bought the parts and thats that?
Was wondering because I have a private owner who does this and was wondering what the difference is between the dealer and DIY

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DaddyMatt said:
lawless said:
Not to hijack ACE's post, but...the way I did it, the bumper itself comes off altogether. I wedged a couple of short pieces of 2-by-4 between the "Lock Carrier" and the frame. I tried to put all the pertinent hints in the writeup, but if you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.
Yeah, I did it just like in your writeup except I used 2, 4" pieces of 2x2. :wink:

I think one of the more important pieces of info in DaddyMatt's writeup is to turn the crank by hand at least 2 revolutions after installing the timing belt and make sure the timing marks line up on both the cam sprocket/valve cover and the crankshaft pulley/plastic timing belt cover. I found after I installed the belt that the belt was actually off by one tooth. That crankshaft turns pretty easily when the spark plugs are removed and can throw off the timing.

Now, I've been around engines my whole life and have rebuilt/built 3-5 myself. I've always fixed and serviced my own vehicles. That being said, I don't know if I'd recommend anyone not familiar with engines try this, especially if it's your daily driver.
Then again, DaddyMatts writeup is pretty complete :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
ACE
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing