Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question has been asked many times, but the damn search on this site stinks.

So I'll ask it again.

2002 Passat 1.8 Turbo with 60K.

When should i change the belt?
When does the factory say to change the belt?
If it breaks before the factory say's change it, what happens?
What a reasonable price for a belt change and associated components in CT?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
60k... sound like you need to have it replaced. the manual says 105k miles, but it is highly recommended to have it done at 60k.
-if it breake you are looking at major engine work.
-you may get the belt with tensioner for about $160 at ECS, or the entire set with water pump and accessory belts for about $250.
if you want the dealer to do it you looking at $600-$800 range...
you may want to check with independent shop :wink:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
okay... Will someone with a 1.8T do me a freaking favor? Go look under your hood near the driver's headlight. Tell me if there is a red sticker there that mentions your engnie is an interference engine and the timing belt should be changed at 75K? This was placed with care underneath my hood by a German factory worker who cared about the engine he just installed so much that he wanted to make sure it doesn't grenade because of the shitty tensioner he was forced to use. Am I the only one who's Passat was loved so much by the guys at the plant?

Actually anyone with a 2001.5 or newer Passat V6 or 1.8t confirm this?

·
Registered
322 Posts
yep i got the same sticker (written in english, german, and some other language that i can't remember right now). same factory worker must have done my car as yours (only a little sooner since we have a 2000 v6 4motion glx variant).

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
No sticker on my 1.8T. 2000,atw,tip.

For the original poster: If you are the original owner and have all of your maintenance
records (including timing belt checks) you are covered under the 10yr/100k warranty.
If the belt or tensioner lets loose,it is covered. Many people do not want the hassle of
having the engine rebuilt and have it done at 60K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
TB palcard

98 GLX, same sticker. I get deer-in-headlights look from dealership guys when I point it out. There is also one for the differetial/transaxel lube too, same reaction.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes that is correct...VW recommends 105K miles for the TB change, but many people have had them break at 60K and later, so just to be sure and safe, it is not a bad idea to do it early. Sure, if you have all of your records, you can get the engine rebuilt when it breaks, but why go through that hassle?

We did 6 in one day last month!

Rocky Mountain Club B5 Timing Belt Change Pics

The ESC ultimate kit is right around $300 with shipping and has everything you need. DaddyMatt's instructions were great!

Two :thumbup: up!

·
Registered
53 Posts
So the manual says the tensioner should be checked at the 40k maintenance interval. But really, does eyeballing this thing let the tech know if something is wrong?
I'm beginning to know why VW lowered the warranty from 100k to 50k, so they wouldn't have to deal with premature broken timing belt issues. A piece of rubber is the achilles heal of great engines (1.8T and my 30v V6). But question is, can an engine not be made with such performance combined with effiency unless its an interference engine?? My timing belt on my '86 GLI went once - No problems, just $200 bucks for a new belt repair and I was back on the road.

As for belts, I assume the stock belt is a very well made item. Is this made by Continental? I've always trusted Continental belts in the past. Also, reference was made to the tensioner being crappy. Is there a reason to think they use crappy tensioners?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
depending on the state, some recommend 60k too. i know CA does, but i don't know about CT. check your manual to be sure. anyway, it's better to change it now so you aren't stuck for a week or two (or longer) w/o the Passat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
max8176
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing