Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting reading to do the timing belt and water pump on my '99 30V. I've looked at Blauparts and ECS Tuning's kits. I will need the tools as I don't want to chance cam misalignment. Blauparts kit is cheaper, but you must return the tools. ECS's kit includes tools to keep. Any reason to use one over the other, or is there some better source out there?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I saw their offering. If you want to do the job right, you'll need more than the bar. The TDC pin is also absolutely needed. If you are creative you could come up with the rest on your own although pulling the seals is tricky without the right tool.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They do include the pin. I'm toying with the idea of leaving the seals alone, because the dealer replaced mine already under warranty.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
... I'm toying with the idea of leaving the seals alone, because the dealer replaced mine already under warranty.
If that's the case, then you don't need a puller unless the timing doesn't fall into place. You can use a normal 3 jaw puller if you need to adjust it. The grenade pin is not needed if you are not reusing the damper. The lock pin for the accessory belt is not really needed either. The semi-specialty tool is the chopsticks. You can get them for cheap from equipment solutions, or you could borrow mine.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Probably. Oh, one other thing. There's a special wrench for the fan nut that works in conjunction with a standard torque wrench. I'd think a really big adjustable would be fine. Before you start tugging, it's left hand threaded!

·
Registered
773 Posts
just ordered a kit from blausparts....came out to 280 shipped...i got EVERYTHING....tb, waterpump, cam seals,etc...even got a free serpentine belt and thermostat:thumbup:

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
I'm getting reading to do the timing belt and water pump on my '99 30V. I've looked at Blauparts and ECS Tuning's kits. I will need the tools as I don't want to chance cam misalignment. Blauparts kit is cheaper, but you must return the tools. ECS's kit includes tools to keep. Any reason to use one over the other, or is there some better source out there?
go find the local auto-zone in our area, they rent out the tools.
then again... who'd know if they had that tool...
on the other hand, try to find an indy, or another member of this site that will help to fix you up.

every so often you'l see that kind of thing here.

by far go with the ECS tuning deal.
i've had nothing but bliss, in dealing with them.
however, i have yet to commence something as major as the TB.
though i do like the deal they offer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just ordered a kit from blausparts....came out to 280 shipped...i got EVERYTHING....tb, waterpump, cam seals,etc...even got a free serpentine belt and thermostat:thumbup:
Are you a preferred customer or did you just talk them into a big discount? Did that include tool rental? That was a sweet deal either way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
... or is there some better source out there?
I just did my TB back in November 2006. My research gradually led me to consider kits from blauparts.com or dieselgeek.com. IIRC, it came down to the issue of G12 antifreeze being included or not. In my case, blauparts.com would not match dieselgeeks price on the G12, plus dieselgeek offered the tool to make removal of a certain part easier (can't recall which), so I went with them.

my $.02.

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
If that's the case, then you don't need a puller unless the timing doesn't fall into place. You can use a normal 3 jaw puller if you need to adjust it. The grenade pin is not needed if you are not reusing the damper. The lock pin for the accessory belt is not really needed either. The semi-specialty tool is the chopsticks. You can get them for cheap from equipment solutions, or you could borrow mine.
Got a part number on the chopsticks? How about the cam seal puller? I really need to get those. It would make things much easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts