Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The official VW owner's manual specifies a timing belt inspection interval of 40,000 miles, and a replacement interval of 105,000 miles. (Naturally, we, ClubB5, know what a bad idea that is.)

My brand-spanking new Bentley (Wal-Mart $50 special! Woohoo!) has this note at the beginning of the section on maintenance intervals...

"The mainentance tables are based on Volkswagen reccommended maintenance intervals. However, field expereince has shown that replacement intervals for timing belts and tensioners on the 1.8T and V6 engines should be more frequent. These engines are known as "interference engines" and if the tenisioner or timing belt fails the possiblitiy exists for significant valve and/or piston damage. The publisher's additional reccomended intervals can be found under "Editor's Note" at the bottom of each maintenance table."

They suggest inspect @20K and replace @60K for the 1.8T and inspect @20K and replace @70K for the V6.

I could understand a note like this in a Haynes or Chilton, but the Bentley is the official VW service manual. (VW Part No. LPV 800 209) Which is an unknowing consumer (i.e. not a CB5'er) supposed to believe? The official VW owner's manual, or the official VW maintenance and repair manual? I thought that the publisher of the maint. manual was speaking on behalf of VW, hence the VW part number.

Yes, the copyright page does state that VW has not approved, nor do they vouch for the accuracy or completeness of the manual. (If VW hasn't reviewed it, that may explain how Bentley snuck that "suggestion" in.) Correct if I am wrong, but isn't this unapproved/unreviewed manual what VW expects it's official technicians to use when performing maintenance and repair on your VW?

SirWired

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
VW's official technicians don't use paper manuals from Wal-Mart.

They used a computerized source that is produced by the same people as that paper manual.

Difference is, there is no such note on the computerized version, because the computerized version IS completely official.

As a perhaps interesting side note, VW is about to drop Bentley.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Interesting. Do you know why they are dropping Bentley?

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
ganseg said:
Interesting. Do you know why they are dropping Bentley?
As far as I know, it is just because they want us to use a more standard kind of online manual-but of course VW would have no reason to tell us any problems they might have had with Bentley.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Sharky, I did know that they don't use the dead-tree version in the shop. Interesting that the note on the timing belt change interval isn't in the electronic version. (Is the electronic version in the shop the same electronic manual that a consumer can purchase from Bentley?)

How different are the paper and electronic versions? Anybody know?

SirWired

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
The actual repair text is very similar, the exception being we have all the TSBs, recalls, warranty info, and on and on. That, and ours is continually updated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sirwired-

Have you replaced your timing belt lately? I am coming up on 60k mi and was wondering if you could recommend any decent shops in the triangle area with timing belt replacement experience on b5.5's. I have a few shops in mind, but have not talked to anyone regarding their first-hand experiences with their b5's and these shops. Any help will be appreciated.

Thx.

·
Registered
372 Posts
sirwired said:
The official VW owner's manual specifies a timing belt inspection interval of 40,000 miles, and a replacement interval of 105,000 miles. (Naturally, we, ClubB5, know what a bad idea that is.)

They suggest inspect @20K and replace @60K for the 1.8T and inspect @20K and replace @70K for the V6.
More on this topic: my '01 V6 is coming up on its 40k service, so I printed out the "official" VW Maintenance Schedule from VW.com, and at the bottom is a note:

"Timing Belt replace - Recommended replacement at 40,000 miles (64,000 km) and 80,000 miles (128,000 km)"

Is this for real? VW is recommending that I replace my timing belt at 40,000 mile?!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
darisgin
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing