Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 vw passat 2.8L v6 with 91000 on it can wait till like 120000 to do the timing belt I bought the car with 76000 and don't know if it was ever done please let me know how long I can wait to do this

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
car is old I don't even know if it's worth paying to do it also needs value cover gasket and the who 9 on one side I did one side due to a cylinder misfire

·
Registered
123 Posts
Didn't you ask this question in the B5 forum? I did the timing belt on my 2003 Passat GLX V6 last year at 100k miles. I was thinking the same as you last month because I need control arms and front brake hoses, both regular maintenance on a 12 year old car. Other than the arms and hoses the car is in perfect condition. I can easily get another 5+ years/100k miles out of the car if I do the arms/hoses. I love the way the car drives and the many options that came with the GLX model that I can't get in a new car unless I upgrade to an Audi, which I was looking at.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also I do believe that the timing belt job should be done at 105k miles. You can either spend a little now or a lot later if the belt breaks. Do you like the car? What does it look like? Is the body and interior in good condition? Do you have the funds for the timing belt plus what ever may come down the road or would a cheaper to maintain car be more feasible? Only you can decide what to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much I am gonna do at 100k I did brake hoses rear shocks axles motor mounts value cover and cam seals on driver side still have to do passage side

·
Registered
863 Posts
Which IMHO is rediculous. They preached 60k at the dealership and change it to 105.......hmmmmmmm I wonder why?????:crazy: Thats right it would have been out of warranty.....;)silly me.:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts