Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Whats Up Doc
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met this guy at a local car show here in WA a few weeks back...he was inquiring about my Passat and Passat engines.... After talking with him I find out his TB broke on him at some ridiculously low mileage (in my eyes that is) I think around the 75k mark... Anyhow I Obviously referred him to PW and a local Dub yard.....for questions and concerns yadda yadda yadda anyhow we have been trading e-mails back and forth about it here recently (and no he isnt one of the bunnies) and I got this one from him today.... I thought it was worthy to share with you all...

Here it is:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick,
Just to give you an update, I did some searching for someone to rebuild my head before I removed it and 1 small repair place in Lacey suggested calling VW of America and talking to them about warrantee.

The dealership I called said it was not covered. Well, after calling VW, they said it was covered. There is an extended warrantee on 1.8T timing belt till 105000 miles and unlimited years. I was pissed because I had the car torn down and just about to pull the head when I found this out. So my car is off to a different dealership to get everything replaced under warrantee. I don't know if it was because I am the original owner or what not. I am telling you this so that if you belong to any forums you can post this information for others out there. I am going to have to pay some money because I will have them replace water pump, belts and hoses that don't have to do with the timing belt but that should be it.

Also, You had mentioned replacing something in the turbo when I had everything apart. Something about a valve? I also wanted to hit you up about info on a chip and the best place to get one. I am not ready to change to exhaust so will a chip have any benefit with stock exhaust?

Thanks again, Doug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this is good news for some people:salute:

Patrick

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is a new one for me anyhow. I have contacted VW on a couple of occasions about the TB because I am very low mileage but the car is 7 years old. They have repeatedly mentioned the 105K miles but never that there is an unlimited mile warranty. Nor has my local dealer ever mentioned it. I have the belt inspected on an annual basis. They even relayed a story about a women who came in with 65K and they looked at the belt, told her it was fine and a week later it snapped. They tried to get VW to split the cost of repairs with them to no avail. I don't recall if they picked up the entire tab or if the gave the women some reduced price. Sure wish we could get this in writing from the company. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe this only applies to the 99 year 1.8Ts.

Check out the website link:
http://www.timingbeltsettlement.com/

I have my claim in but have not heard anything back to date. I believe you had to file for this by October in order to get reimbursement consideration for previous damages; warranty is now extended to 105K miles but requires a documented dealer belt inspection every 40k to keep in effect, and I can all but assure you that the dealers have been told to recommend immediate replacement of the TB now rather than until the next 40k belt check :lol:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have 35K and the belt is 7 years old. I had it inspected last year and now without even seeing it they are saying to replace it due to age. I probably will replace it but if it the new one breaks VW is not going to be of any help, if you do it yourself or have an indy do it. Interference engines are a PITA in that regard and Dubs in particular because it requires so much effort to replace a simple belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts