Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 passat with 1.8t AEB engine. i changed the timing belt at 110,000km, (68,000mi) and install all the new stuff with the 153 tooth belt.

my question;

i plan to replace the Tbelt soon at the 220,00km, do i need to replace the tensioner, main roller etc?

when i replaced the smaller roller at the 110,000 km mark it still spun like a new one, so what does vw require on the second change?

what is the collective insight based on bearing failure?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would replace everything. Having bought a B5 that had a non VAG knowledgeable tech R&R the TB, 21K miles later the tensioner failed, nearly causing a ruined engine. It is a lot cheaper to replace eveything now than replace the damage caused by a failed tensioner or roller

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The whole point of replacing the tensioner the first time around was to get rid of a faulty original design. The new tensioner should be fine, assuming it can be retracted enough to allow installation of the new belt -- however, the ball bearings in the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley are probably pretty well-worn by now, so they're worth replacing.

EDIT: On that note, you may want to replace the waterpump too, because it has not only ball bearings but also water-tight seals to wear out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts