Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for all of you out there. How difficult is it to change the timing belt on 99 1.8t B5. I've looked at the instructions in the info section and it seems fairly difficult. I have some experience with cars, such as muffler replacement, oil changes, repairing alternators, but nothing really major which it seems like this is going to be. Is it possible or should I shell out the $600 or so dollars to do so. Also which is the best manual to buy Haynes or Bentley? FYI my car has 109k miles no timing belt change only water pump change 2 years ago. Ticking time bomb? :shock: Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Get the timing belt done
Either yourself or a pro
But get it done
Or risk blowing head gasket
Atleast that is what happened to my car from the previous owner.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It is not terribly hard - say a 6 out of 10. It is certainly more difficult than changing an exhaust system, but really it is a bolts out/bolts in job. No particularly special tools are required and the write-ups on this site are great step-by-step instructions. It helps to have a buddy to double check things as you go, and to run out and get any last minute items that you find you need once you are in the middle of the job. Like when you strip the head of a crank pulley bolt - been there, done that.

Plus you have the ability of posting questions on CB5 if you run into trouble.

109K miles! Whatever you decide, do it soon!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I recommend a large strap wrench, patience and precision. Especially with those crank pulley bolts. Just get the right tools(breaker bar w/allen attatchments). Good writeup in the info. section, good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
666 Posts
No timing gun, just make sure you mark your crank pulley w/whiteout, and BEFORE you pull the pin on the tensioner, make sure they line up by pulling the slack where the tensioner would, you'll be off by a tooth if you don't. Believe me, I had to go to pep boys to get the tensioner recompressed 'cause my vise sux.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.