Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on 40,000 miles on my late 2001 1.8t wagon.

I plan on doing most of the work myself, my friend has a nice lift in his garage so that makes oil changes, tyre rotation etc nice and easy. Iwill also change the plugs and check the fluid levels. I assume the brake fluid should be fine. I will change the front rotors and pads, and there is a little vibration, might also change the rear pads, rotors seem ok.

The only queston I have is on the belt checks, I assume I have to have the dealer do this, do they have to take the front end apart to do it properly? Any idea on cost?

Timing Belt - check
V-Belt - check tension/condition
Ribbed Belt - check condition

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just took mine to the dealer for an oil change and asked for them to also check the tbelt. They also do a 27 point check of other things every time they do the oil change. Many of the 40,000 mile items are on that list. I replaced the sparkplugs myself to save about $100 (on my v6). The tbelt check should be no more than 1/2 hour labor. They only have to remove a couple (on the v6) of covers and rotate the engine to check the belt. I have done it in 20 minutes. Make sure they note the tbelt check on your receipt and note the 27 point checks (if yours does this) and get copy of the 27 point check sheet. I have two passats and on one they charged me (about $40) for the tbelt check and the other was done later for no charge. Keep all receipts especially of all the diy stuff you installed w. dates. Greg

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I assume the brake fluid should be fine.
Manual recommends changing the brake fluid every two years. Looks like you're overdue, actually.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You could buy a pump (like MityVac and brake adapter) and do the brake fluid yourself. I bought them, but am waiting till my fluid is two years old to change it. I also use the pump for oil changes, final drive fluid changes, etc.

I thought from the Bentley, that you would replace over two quarts of fluid, but the parts person at my dealer said less than 2 pints! Don't know who is right.

(FYI, you drain the longest brake lines first, ie start with the passenger rear brake line.)

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would do the majority of the tuneup yourself BUT still take it to the dealer to have them inspect the belt. That why if it ever fails within warranty you have records that VW did check the belt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will take care of the brake fluid aswell then. Two years seems like a short span of time for brake fluid, is this just another VW thing!

Thanks for the helpful posts everyone :)

Jack

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
Two years seems like a short span of time for brake fluid, is this just another VW thing!
VW has had this service interval for at least 17 years (my 87 Golf had the same service requirement).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Altair 4
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing