Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all,
so my TB has been changes not so long ago ( ca. 2 weeks ago) and i've noticed the following:
1.)when on the car was driven for a while and coming to a stop, the fuel consumption rests on 1.1/1.2 L/h and the revs feels slightly higher, as if the car was stressed
2.)if i put on neutral, the consumption goes down to 0.8/0.9 l/h
and RPM feel normal (no stress feeling)

Went back to mechanic and he loosen some screws on one of the poolies and said to drive it for another 2-3 weeks to see if things getting better.
Well, today i noticed that the car fuel consumption as mentioned in 1.) is even higher 1.3l/h and the revs are again slightly higher.
i've noticed more fuel consumption over the week.
Is it normal?
the car didn't behave like that before change the TB.
on idle (on stop or traffic lights) was always in range of 0.8/0.9l/h and revs were normal, in Neutral was on 0.5l/h

Car: Passat 2005 StationWagon 2.0L TDI tiptronic
any advise would be approciated.

thanx

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sorry man but I just can't relate probably along with most of the other Canadian members on this board as I'm pretty sure that none of us have the 2.0 diesel engine. From experience there is a set torque value for pulleys and I don't know why adjusting them would make any difference and if that should even be done in the first place :hmmm:. Plus they are hydraulic pulleys so regardless of how much torque is placed on their bolts it shouldn't matter and I have no idea why it would change your idle/fuel consumption. Your timing might be advanced or retarded depending if your mechanic lined everything up right. Do you have more high end torque or more low end torque then before the change?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Post up in the B5 sections and you'll probably get some good responses. tdiclub.com will also be a good resource. There are quite a few people with TDI Passats there.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What do u mean by that? i'm sorry i'm not mechanically oriented person, however i'm eager to learn.
If you have more high end torque compared to before you had the timing belt change you will have more power at higher rpms compared to before. The opposite applies for low end toque.

Post up in the B5 sections and you'll probably get some good responses. tdiclub.com will also be a good resource. There are quite a few people with TDI Passats there.
x2 B5 section you'll get many more responses with people far more qualified with TDI then myself and tdiclub.com is supposed to be a wonderful vw diesel resource. I would sign up for tdi club fo sho. :salute:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did your mechanic use the proper VW tools to lock the camshaft and other pulleys? Or did they do what is called "Mark and Pray", where they use paint or marker and HOPE they get it correct.... something is not set correctly.

They should also use a VAGCOM type diagnostic computer to read the timing values after the job.

You should explain your situation over at www.tdiclub.com as I had suggested in another posting, as the experts are over there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the issue with rough idling, has been fixed. it was my thermostat. coincidantly the termostat went funky road when TB has been changed.
everything is back to normal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts