Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
You don't state whether it is a V6 or 1.8t. The 1.8t is easier. V6 has 2 additional bleed screws on the fron and back of motor. I do it cold.

V6 - crack open both bleed screws to get all the air out.

Both, pull the bleed hose back to expose the hole. Do not pull hose off all the way.

Loosen the coolant tank/bottle, unplug the sensor and hold the tank high above the level of the bleed hose unti la steady stream of fluid comes gushing out.

Put everything back. Start car, and hold RPM steady at 3000 for 2 minutes.

If still no heat at lower rpm you probably have slight blockage in core. In that case take both hoses loose and flush water through the bleed hole side and out the other. I was amazed at the little bits of junk that came out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What keeps getting me on this thing is that at idle I can pull both hoses off of the heater core and nothing comes out. Is there a valve on this car that shuts offf the water if the heat is off that may be bad or needs resetting I'm starting to think my "UP GRADED" water pump is defective any thoughts???

·
Registered
891 Posts
Plain and simple, you have air in the system. By design it doesn't flow alot of coolant through the heater core, this is very obvious if you have ever had the intake off of the V6 and have actually seen the routing of the coolant pipes for the heater core. The first one that I ever did took me about 3 hours before I finally was able to get heat at idle(changed the water pump also because of this). I have had to, on rare occassion, had to pull both lines off of the heater core and fill both of the lines and the heater core itself before it finally got worked out....pain in the ass. Also when you are doing this do you have the cap off of the coolant tank...you should

21 - 25 of 25 Posts