Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the Timing belt,both Idler and tensioner and the water pump on My 01 passat and now the heat isn't the best actually it is not good at all if you rev it up over 3 grand it blows hot but at idle it blows cold....PLEASE help

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,620 Posts
that is the bleeder,
you have to take the heater core clamp off and slide the hose back just until you see the bleed hole then fill until the fluid comes out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You have to wait for it to get good pressure and with it running, use a glove or a rag and pull it off the fitting until it runs solid.

Theres also another bleeder on the front of the engine up top close to the serp belt You have to take off the engine cover. You will see a steel line with an allen bolt in it, I think its 5MM...may also help.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Don't bleed it with the car running - it's not at all necessary.
Bleeding without the car running is useless, if the water pump isn't circulating the coolant how do you expect to get the air pockets out. When I do this i have a helper run the car at about 2000 rpms until I see coolant come out of the bleed hole and then push the hose back on. I have tried all different ways to bleed the system and this seems to work the best....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok did all of that had the wife run the car up to 2500rpms and I can take the hose completely off and coolant just dribbles out but if she shuts the car off it's like a guiser coolant comes rushing out felt like it hade good heat in the garage but she took it to work this morning and said still no heat. this thing had great heat until I changed the belt and pump and stuff any other ideas I ran this dam thing for an hour and kept bleeding it any ideas guys????

·
Registered
891 Posts
Did you have the cap on the coolant reservoir on or off when you did the bleed? What I do is have the cap off and the coolant not quite full, Start the car and let it get hot, pull the heater hose back far enough to expose the bleeder hole, let car idle for about 5 minutes, run at about 2000 rpm for a few minutes or until you get coolant out of the bleed hole, if coolant deosn't come out let the car idle once again, if coolant then comes out then run at 2000 rpms again for a min or 2 and return to idle, once coolant comes out of the bleed hole and has no air in it push the hose back on. Sometimes I have a paid of needle nose pliers to squeeze the hose a little to helpo remove any air in there. I've been doing it this way for years adn haven't had any issues...heat so hot it will burn your hands. Shutting the car off with the hose off or pulling the hose off will intruduce air into the system again and you will have to start all over.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had this same problem on a Audi a6. On the Audi forum some suggested the heater core was clogged. I never did get to the bottom of it, but is that possible? And if it is how would you unclog the heater core?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys I have tried all of this stuff and the only way that I can get straight coolant is if I squeeze the hose with a pair of pliers and have the wife run it at about 2800 r's and let off as soon as coolant comes rushing out of bleed hole then push hose back on she has great heat if she is moving but as soon as she stops it cools off. What gets me is (and I am domestic mach.) is that the sum bitch does not flow through either hose at idle (I can pull both hoses off heater core at the same time and NO coolant flows through either hose) I AM LOST ON THIS ONE......HELP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts