Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not exactly. I changed the timing belt (along w/ water pump, tensioner, ect) about a month ago and just last week I was greeting with my car making a, shall I say, indescribable noise and then dieing. After pulling the timing belt cover off it became apparent that the timing roller (is that the correct name?) managed to completely come off. Me and my dad must not have torqued it correctly/installed it correctly and the belt lost tension when this happened. I was driving pretty much near idle, I was in a parking lot rounding a corner, so my question is, what are the chances that I will be lucky and not have valve damage? Has anyone who had their belt snap not have any resulting valve damage? I have a 2001.5 AWM 1.8T.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that "indescribable noise" does not bode well. I would reinstall the timing belt correctly, then immediately run a compression test, before firing it up.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Had your belt snapped upon trying to start it, well then you
might have had a chance.

Unfortunately your car was running, albeit at idle, nonetheless
I'm sorry to say your SOL. Sorry bub. :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what I figured. I will do what John E suggested and reinstall the timing belt and perform a compression test (could someone inform me on how to do this before I google it/do a search). Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Well not exactly. I changed the timing belt (along w/ water pump, tensioner, ect) about a month ago and just last week I was greeting with my car making a, shall I say, indescribable noise and then dieing. After pulling the timing belt cover off it became apparent that the timing roller (is that the correct name?) managed to completely come off. Me and my dad must not have torqued it correctly/installed it correctly and the belt lost tension when this happened. I was driving pretty much near idle, I was in a parking lot rounding a corner, so my question is, what are the chances that I will be lucky and not have valve damage? Has anyone who had their belt snap not have any resulting valve damage? I have a 2001.5 AWM 1.8T.
if it was still running before you took the cover off i bet you will need just the t.belt job again and thats it (if the belt just lost tentionit most likely wont damage the valves, becaouse they give you enoigh space there to miss a tooth or so. and if it was running then it was still prety close to marks...)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Thats what I figured. I will do what John E suggested and reinstall the timing belt and perform a compression test (could someone inform me on how to do this before I google it/do a search). Thanks for the advise.
compression test:
the car must be at operating temp
take all the sparkplugs out
take the plugs from injestors off
install the comp. guage into cyl #1
open the throtal body all the way
crank it for about 6 turns
remember the reading
do the rest of the cylinders
and compare
you should get some thing about 175psi but might be different
minimum is 110psi and the difference between the cylinders should not exeed 10-20psi
good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
You should try cranking it by hand 1st after it is back together. You could also pull the valve cover and see if the valves are closing after the cam opens them.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
compression test:
the car must be at operating temp
take all the sparkplugs out
take the plugs from injestors off
install the comp. guage into cyl #1
open the throtal body all the way
crank it for about 6 turns
remember the reading
do the rest of the cylinders
and compare
you should get some thing about 175psi but might be different
minimum is 110psi and the difference between the cylinders should not exeed 10-20psi
good luck:thumbup:
it may be a little tough for him to get the engine at operating temp. however, if any valve(s) is/are bent, it should be pretty apparent. the rest of the instructions are good, tho.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Yes, I had in mind doing the compression test cold, i.e., reassemble the timing set without even bothering to put the bumper/radiator lock carrier back in "operate" position, pull the spark plugs, and crank whilst reading the compression gauge. If it passes compression, then reinstall the spark plugs and see it it runs. If not, you'll know you have bent some valves.

·
Registered
321 Posts
well i recomend, that everybody check theirs, cuz mine blow off and it damage the whole head, and now i m stock with the b5 park at home. well now i m gonna fix it and i m gonna take the next level, and go for all performance parts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sorry to hear of this for you. What model Passat and year and how many miles on your car? I have a 2002 V6 w/ 80K miles and am thinking it may be time to change TB etc.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Sorry to hear of this for you. What model Passat and year and how many miles on your car? I have a 2002 V6 w/ 80K miles and am thinking it may be time to change TB etc.
You wanted to do it 20k ago. Get thee to the shop!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
You wanted to do it 20k ago. Get thee to the shop!
Not on a V6. The V6 can easily go the 105VW recommends. It has a different tensioner and belt and isn't prone to self destructing like the 1.8T belt/tensioner. How many times hae you seen a thread about a V6 belt breaking? Exactly.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Not on a V6. The V6 can easily go the 105VW recommends. It has a different tensioner and belt and isn't prone to self destructing like the 1.8T belt/tensioner. How many times hae you seen a thread about a V6 belt breaking? Exactly.
You're kidding right?
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210302&highlight=v6+timing+belt
Note that a failed wp can cause damage to TBs here. I had one fail less than 20K after replacement. Given the very non-scientific poll, there's a 17% failure rate on the WP. Most people heard the pump making noise and took it in before it seized, but its really not worth the risk, is it?
Technically, the water pump needs to be replaced, not the TB, but as long as you're down there. . . .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts