Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to send a huge thanks to Passat World. I've been MIA for quite some time now (just finished building a new house, second kid arrived and switched to a new firm) but I've found time to take care of the passat. Its an 03 and she hit 60,000 miles so it was time for some maintenance items. Changed the timeing belt. Got the kit from Diesel Geek. Highly recommended. It comes will all the belts, new water pump, thermostat and thermostat housing as well as their own "water pump removal bolts" which after using them and seeing how stuck on the pump was, were very much appreciated. Plus they had just about the cheapest prices. Anyway, all went well thanks to the writeups. Timing belt looked fine but the impeller on the water pump had a crack and was bout to break off. So the water pump was definately necessary.

CV boot was easy but messy.

Same for the transmission fluid change. It doesn't matter how many transmission fluid changes I do, they always end up in a huge mess on the garage floor. For those that are curious, I switched to Mobil 1. 3,000 miles so far and transmission shift perfectly. Of course it was fine before so no real change.

And lastly, I replaced a burned out vent light.

Thanks for all the help

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
What web site did you get the Desil Geek tools/parts from. I'm a 2001 B5.5 1.8T Trip with 68,000 on the clock and it is needed in the next 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Damn. I deleted the wrong post.

EDIT: edited post above to include the information I deleted in the other post. water a cluster f---. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
28,356 Posts
Glad you got it done. The last AWM I did (about 2 weeks ago) had the water pump stick too. As always, a little pry bar goes a long way. The impeller did come out in a few parts. I probably did that prying it out.

The key for keeping the garage clean, lots of newspaper on the floor. I still have stains anyway. I am over 22K on the Mobil1 ATF. No change, still like stock.

With 2 kids, I had a lot less time for everything else. Good to see you are still around. I need to make it back down there sometime. I miss the nice roads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts