Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well gang.

After 4-5 years of owning 2 Passats (1st was an 01) and the last year debating on selling my 2004 GLX. I have decided to finally sell and get into a 2014 Honda Accord that my neighbor was selling.

My current Passat is sitting just shy of 200k miles and has a few issues I don't want to deal with anymore. Most current issue is the leak in the coolant system that I need to find and fix.

The Matrix pipe has had 2 pinhole leaks for a good while but this new leak drains it much quicker. I need to replace some front arms (Noticeable knock on pass side, 2 doors don't lock or unlock, I think the SAIP is ready to take a shit, AC has never worked in either Passats lol, I have had either a noisy pulley or injector (can't figure out what it is), Clock spring light has been lit since removing the steering wheel and such to replace the faded LCD screen (Don't know how to reset it) so ABS kicks on when 1st driving unless I press the ESC button before moving, Auto trans downshifts to 1st gear kinda hard, windshield is highly pitted, one of the drivers seat adjustments doesn't work along with the butt heater part stopped working, burns through oil, flex pipe is cracked and a few other interior/interior bits breaking or broken....

This has been a solid ass car even with the current and past issues....I simply need to get into a newer car with more reliability and less issues...I originally got the car for a steal and have had to spend a decent amount of $ through the few years but it was mostly regular maintenance. Minus the unexpected short in the trans harness that shorted the TCM and 2 solonoids.

I am hoping and confidant the Honda will give me years of trouble free miles. It's sitting right around 97k miles so this is a much newer car with far less miles...Well looked after and in almost new condition inside and out with all the bells and wistles. More then I need but......

So I will still remain a member if that is ok and help where I can... Who knows... It might prove to be a pile of shit and I will be back in a B5 lol...

Thank you for the years of support from many of you. This is a great page to be a part of. So much knowledge and respect....

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
Good luck and I don't blame you. I have been really spoiled by the new Tiguan, it's nice to get into a car and not have to worry about what will break next. Not sure if I am done with mine, but I have not driven it in 3 months.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well if you want to get a car that can get by for years and tens of thousands of miles, simply on gasoline fill ups and oil changes, I guess that's your choice.

We Passat owners will continue to live on the ragged edge, where each month can bring new repair and maintenance challenges and questions. A realm that Honda owners hardly ever know even exists, and why, anyone would choose to be in.

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
I was fine with mine for my commute (6 miles each way when I had one). I was only left stranded by it on the road once (V6 timing belt roller failed) and once in the parking lot (1.8T ESS failed). It's the long distance cross country drives that were the issue. On the last trip (fall 2018) through Utah, the center driveshaft was vibrating like crazy and the CEL was on most of the drive (cat code). My wife declared we would not take it on the next drive (Cali last year) and we were getting a new car. If I was still working, I would keep mine for many years as a commuter. It helps that we get no rust and with the short drive, I did not care about the MPG.

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,434 Posts
The beloved B5 chassis cars are slowly fading into oblivion. We are clinging to our Passat wagon, but I finally had to give up on the 1996 A4 Quattro, which stranded my wife with a major electrical short that literally fried the entire power window harness. (I naively thought fuses and circuit breakers were supposed to protect against this sort of thing.) I am an electronics engineer, I worked my way through UCLA repairing home audio equipment, and I have done various solder repairs on cars, including this one's HVAC control module and my son's S4's O2 sensor module, but the steady barrage of electrical problems convinced me it was time to donate it to PBS. I started rewiring it and thought about keeping it as a project car, but the final straw came when my friends were involved in a serious crash with their CC, and the airbags saved their lives. The 1996 A4 had a 2-3 star safety rating, considerably below the 2001 Passat's, and I had no way of knowing, after 24 years, whether the bags would even still deploy.

We found a 2016 Golf Sportwagen, with which we are delighted, so now we are hoarding wagons to protest their disappearance from the American market. :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Good to hear there are other wagon hoarders.

I gave up my 2004 1.8T 5M 4Mo wagon two years ago at about 130k miles for a 2018 A4 Allroad. I miss my manual, but there aren't any more left and I have to confess the DSG (except when it gets confused at low speeds) shifts better than I do.

The family friend the Passat went to got my local independent mechanic (Brian's Garage in Needham, MA) too, so it soldiers on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts