Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I oredered my ECS timing belt kit and I am checking a couple places for prices. Does 6 hours seem about right to install? and how about $68 an hour? Oh yeah it is a 2000 gls V6. thanks for the input

Edit: Just how difficult is the TB install? Could I save my self $400 and install it with the help of my very mechanically inclined father and a Haynes manual?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I'm not familiar with v6 but I also ordered the timing belt kit and will do it myself :)

for all the parts that ECS is giving me for $279 shipped, my stealership quoted me $1200 parts and labor (water pump, belts (all of em), thermostat etc...) so I said f'ck that and ordered ECS kit :)

I will do it next week when it arrives

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I just did the timing belt (ECS 'Ultimate' Kit). Took me about 6 hours. That's completely taking my time, and not really caring when I got done... also a visit from SlimMN (thanks for moving my bank 1 cam :lol: ), pics... beer... lunch...etc.

It's a big job, it's not a hard job. I did it without the special tools. As long as you mark your crank, and each cam, and understand in general the whole timing-belt-top-of-the-engine-bottom-of-the-engine "thing"... you're cool.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've done the 12V V6 in the Audi a few times. It isn't too bad, but having the special tools really helps. The biggest PITA was removing the old waterpump gasket.

B54ME said:
so I oredered my ECS timing belt kit and I am checking a couple places for prices. Does 6 hours seem about right to install? and how about $68 an hour? Oh yeah it is a 2000 gls V6. thanks for the input

Edit: Just how difficult is the TB install? Could I save my self $400 and install it with the help of my very mechanically inclined father and a Haynes manual?

·
Registered
333 Posts
pass-variant said:
It's a big job, it's not a hard job. I did it without the special tools. As long as you mark your crank, and each cam, and understand in general the whole timing-belt-top-of-the-engine-bottom-of-the-engine "thing"... you're cool.
Thanks PV. Just curious, what is "timing-belt-top-of the-engine-bottom-of-the-engine" thing? Do you mean we have to remove the belt from top of the engine first? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
keon said:
pass-variant said:
Thanks PV. Just curious, what is "timing-belt-top-of the-engine-bottom-of-the-engine" thing? Do you mean we have to remove the belt from top of the engine first? Thanks!!
Yeah, that immediatelly after doing the TB sacrifice dance :lol:

On second thought you may be better off getting it done by somebody else who has the crank and cams marking and positioning down the path. It's a bitch to crank the engine for the first time post TB replacement and hear loud crunching noise. Or you can just hit the books and learn. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Do a search for my posts about this. I did the belt, tensioner and idler pulleys, water pump, thermostat, and serpentine on my 99 V6. It is considerably longer than a 1.8T job because there is more to disassemble, but it's not a technically difficult job. IOW, you need patience but not brilliance. I was able to complete in a day. I strongly recommend the the crankshaft holding tool and the cam sprocket locking bar. With those two tools, you can't put it together wrong and ruin your engine - it's really a no-brainer. Without them, you certainly could get into trouble. You'll also want some kind of strap wrench like the one I got from Home Depot, so you can grip the fan pulley while you break the big nut loose to get the fan off.

6 hours for a professional is a probably about right, but may not include all the other replacements like I did (and which are recommended), and I think $68/hr is getting to be the going rate these days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.