Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a curb, towed, 10 days, in 2 shops, in 2 states, bill so far:
New tire and botched diagnosis (they missed the obviously bad wheel bearing) at towing Chrysler/Chevy/blah blah dealership:
$235.
Front wheel bearing installed at local gas station (they also missed it until I was like, yeah THAT loud grinding noise duh!):
~$390
ABS sensor "fell apart" while installing the wheel bearing:
~$200
=$825

Brakes
Brake estimate at same local gas station (which installed my own brake parts last time for only $220):
$700 for rears only!!!! OK, including 2 calipers (supposedly sticking)
$250 for new front brake lines....
Can't say what kind of parts for this kind of money...could be made by Mattel for all I know.

Time to buy my own import garage.

Grrrrrrrrr...

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
ya man get yourself a good indy. your making this sound like a zippy lube. I had a nice experience with those a$$holes there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
lol nothing can beat my jiffy-lube story.

They were changing the oil on my durango, when one of the fluid hoses retracted up too quickly, smashing into the glass up top, causing huge thick pieces to rain down on the employee and my car. Woooonderful job there jiffy-lube. That was a pain in the ass to get fixed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
ABS sensor "fell apart" while installing the wheel bearing:
~$200
Is it possible they did not pull the abs sensor before removing the driveshaft to change the bearing? This could damage the sensor. I don't think the abs sensor could just "fall apart". It is just a metal cylinder that runs against the edge of the driveshaft. This seems fishy to me.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Sticking calipers on the rear don't need to be replaced. The slider pins need to be removed and cleaned/lubed with new boots on them... I'll do it for $300! :)

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Damn dude, stop just giving your money away. If you're feeling charitable, at least take it to a VW stealer. . . dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts