Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Long time, no visit! Oh, how I long for the old days of logging on CB5 ten times a day, posting and reading lots of stuff...but the real world responsibilities just keep piling up. I'm engaged, set to get hitched in October. :D I'm also selling used cars at a supercenter, etc, etc. :crazy:

My 98 GLX is just about 80k miles now, and still running very strong. It's about time for the TB and tensioner change, though. I got a really good quote from an indy for the change, and I'm probably gonna get the water pump done at the same time, as a preventive measure (thoughts?)

However, the one thing that threw me for a loop was the following (from technician's email):

the only part that may be needed extra is a damper if it is weak (161.00 and no additional labor) ........I always replace these on my cars regardless if the damper is weak now or not............remember you will be putting on 85,000 to
100,000 before these things get looked at again. If it went bad down the road, and the belt doesn't jump time, it would be about 625.00 to replace just that one part (whole front end has to come back off again)
I had never heard/read anything like this before. It adds a bit to the cost, and I'm not sure it's even necessary. Input would be appreciated! TIA

Ash

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
27 Posts
v6 TB

I don't know about the damper issue, but there seems to be very few 98GLX's around. Do you have 2 red placards under the hood in front that say the tranny fluid should be changed at like 40K mi and TB @ 80K? The local dealrship said that the tannny does not need to be serviced for sometime, like 100K which is nuts, but agreed with the TB.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Good to see you around, and congrats! Could he be referring to the tensioner? That would be my guess. My mechanic corroborates this. He always changes the tensioner whenever he does a timing belt.

Hope this helps, and I hope to see more of you around here once you get hitched!

Kenny

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Kenny, good to see a familiar face around! October 17th is the wedding date, and yes I will be back in here more often. The car's getting older, so naturally the repair frequency increases.

I appreciate the replies. I'm going in for the tensioner, the timing belt, the acc. belt, and the water pump/t-stat (all preventive). I knew all of those were pretty typical to do during the change, but I had never heard anything about the damper before. This guy's pretty reputable, but he might have been thinking about a different car (A-platform, maybe?)

sbsail is right, you don't see many 98 GLXs around, period. Especially not with manual transmission...that's because they only imported around 200 to the US. I still haven't found a car I would trade it in for, and I get to see a lot of stuff working at a multi-brand dealership. The 03 WRX is pretty sweet, but I just couldn't go down to that Chevy Cavalier-esque interior :roll:

Thanks again for the replies, I'm gonna bump this one in case anyone else has some input.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
He's talking about the accessory belt drive pully. It's a vibration damper (center is mounted to the pully with a polymeric (urethane) damper. (P/N: 078 105 251 L)

He's suggesting replacing this part to be assured that the urethane damper part does not tear or delaminate post belt replacement (think control arm bushing).

It's a wise preventative measure (since you are doing the thermo, w.p., etc). If it goes, you have no accessory drive. I'm not sure why it would cost $625 to replace after the fact, or why there would be a chance of it 'jumping time'... it's not the timing belt drive... it's the accessory drive.

It will only add the price of the part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts