Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my 20,000 mi checkup (the car had 24k mi at the time), the dealer told me I only had 15% of my pads left on the rear. What is VW making the pads out of - recycled pencil leads? Now I'm at 30k mi, and with the brakes pulsing since I got rear ended last summer, I figure I'm about due for brakes. But seriously - do the stock brakes really only last 30k mi? Even my wife's Mustang's brakes still have a fair amount of pad left (and aren't pulsing) at 57k mi!

So since the brakes are pulsing, I'm trying to decide between getting the stock rotors cut, or getting a set of slotted rotors. As for pads, I've heard some of you mention noise associated with the ceramic pads. Does brand make a difference in noise/performance?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know that everyone's going to have a different experience, but I'm still running stock brakes at 35k... At my 30k checkup, I was still 50% on the rear...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Anyone notice that it is always the rear and not the front like most cars? I had to have them done on a MKIV Jetta at 35k, and the lease was up on our B5, but it was about due for rears at 36k.

The rear pads are too soft it seems and/or the pad rotor combination is too small on the rear for these cars. I believe they are still the same size they were for the older (pre B5) cars that were smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to think of it, my brother's 2000 Jetta GLX had to have the rears done first too. I attributed it to his car being a 5-speed, and thinking maybe his e-brake cable was messed up, causing the rears to drag. I rarely use the e-brake on my (gag) Tip B5.5, so I guess that's not it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also replaced my rear brake pads and rotors somewhere around 35,000 miles. One of the rear pads had almost worn to metal. I replaced the fronts at 60,000 miles. The front pads still had a lot of thickness left but the rotors were badly scored. I also got some scoring on the rear rotors. There's something about the OEM pads that's hard on the rotors. I now use Mintex pads and it seems much better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
69K on original rotors and pads. replacing everything today with green stuff pads and ecs tuning drilled/slotted rotors

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I'm at 32K on a 2002 1.8T Tip and I'm having similar problems with my breaks. I get the lurching when slowing down at a stop light, or even worse is when I'm moving slowly in line at the Highway on ramp. I figured it was my front breaks since they usually handle the majority of all your braking, hence the reason the fronts are bigger than the rears. I was a little miffed that when I had my car in for the 30K service that the dealer checked (so they say) my breaks and they said everything looked good. Again I was thinking that it was my front breaks not the rears, and I'm considering replacing all of them and going with slotted rotors, just not sure about pads myself, but I may have to re-think things if everyone here seems to be getting the major wear problems from the rear breaks. I think I'll have the dealer take a real good look at them again when I go in for some warranty issues and see what they say.

Jakey - How long have you been running on those Mintex pads? I've looked at those online but wasn't sure how they would hold up. The one thing I really liked about the OEM setup was that they are extremely quiet and solid feeling under the foot, I'd really hate to lose that if I go to a new setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm Uber-pissed! I just picked up my car from the dealership were it was getting it's 30K servicing. They were kind enough to tell me that my rear brakes were 98% done. When they told me how much it was going to cost to replace just the back I almost shit. $450 freakin' bucks to replace the rotors and pads! I've never heard of having to replace rotors at 30K miles. Is it just the rear rotors that are made of shit so that they need to be replaced when the pads are, or can I look forward to the fronts being the same way? VW is officially on my shit list today.

P.S.- On a brighter note, I got to drool over a blue R32 at the dealership. So sweet! Forget buying out my Passat when my lease runs up, I'm gettin me an R32 baby!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
My dealer quoted me $406 with labor for the front rotors and pads, and those should be more expensive than the rears which are smaller. Think you might want to have someone else do your breaks, they don't call them stealerships for nothing.

R32's are sweet! a major change from the Passat, but a sweet ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
We had rear pads and rotors replaced on my wife's '00 B5 wagon @ 25K of mostly city driving. The service manager explained to me that the Passat distributes most braking power to the rear to reduce nose dives when braking. The rear rotors are made of softer material and designed to wear at the same rate as the pads, more or less.

I do mostly highway driving so I imagine my brakes will last longer.

AlexR

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I'm going to end up doing the brakes myself. I'd rather waste a few hours on a Saturday then waste a few hundred bucks. I still don't get why VW would put rotors on a car that wear so fast. Do they want to piss off customers with high service/repair prices?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts