Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does it mean when I am told that my tie rods are stuck. I actually took the car for a alignment to a non vw dealer since i bought the car there. They said I would have to take it to a VW dealer. I have a 2000 b5 gls wagon

·
Registered
332 Posts
Could be that they are unable to turn them for adjustment. Tie-rods are common problems in the B5 cars.

I helped a buddy replace his the other day and the passenger side of his was stuck. It wouldn't just spin until we actually grabbed the threads with a vice grip to turn it out.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa, slow down DC Metro B5er!! If your Tie-Rods are frozen, the dealership is going to Sugartooth Willie Pimpslap you for parts and labor.

You can buy Heavy Duty Replacement Tie-Rod Ends from ECSTuning, and have them installed by a quality local mechanic. The parts will run you $122.00!

I only go to alignment shops that use Hunter Racks because my car has 4 Motion. Many lowered Audi and VW drivers in the Silver Spring area go to Allen Automotive because they have a new Hunter Rack, and they can do basic suspension service on our cars. They are also right down the street from Radial Tire on Brookville Road, IMHO the best tire & BBS wheel vendor on the East Coast.

Allen Automotive
2424 Linden Lane, Silver Spring, MD 20910
(301) 587-6755

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long can i go ?

Thanks Swami !

I called Allen and they are busy next two days due to the travel season. I am planning on a long trip this weekend. Do you think its ok to just go on the trip and come back and take care of this. I did put some new tires on them this week.

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
I just had the same problem.
The tire place said they could not losed the adjuster bolt on the tie rod and i would need a new one. For $270 :eek:
I took it to my local VW dealer and they got the bolt off and only charged me $45 for putting it on there lift for a half hour. :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
heres the update:

I got great tips on where to go from The Swami. All of them were busy because of the weekend before the holiday. SO I called Fitzgerald in fredrick and they said since I bought a extended warranty with my 2000 B5 the warrant would cover the tie rods.

So they did it for me , I only paid $100 deductible.

Thanks everyone. I ha da nice ride to cincinatti and back this weekend.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just got my B5 aligned at Allen Automotive in Silver Spring and they told me that my "right front tie rod was frozen" and that they couldn't move it. Sometimes they heat them up with a torch but they couldn't in this case due to all of the plastic and rubber near the tie rods.

So, it seems to me that my tie rods are not broken, they're just 'locked up' and need to be loosened. Is that correct? Do I really need to replace the tie rods and how much will labor will this cost me?

Thanks!
Tre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.