Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 1.8T A/T
Only makes this sound for the first few minutes of driving. If I start the car and give it gas in park or neutral it doesn't not make any noise. It only makes the noise under acceleration for the first few minutes. Originally I thought valves or cam chain tensioner, but now I'm not sure. It actually sounds like a solenoid. And yes it's tied to rpm.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'd check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Or at least take a look under the oil filter cap to see how clean the valve train looks. What type of oil is in the car?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I had a flex plate rubbing problem once and it was similar to your symptoms. One noticeable thing was that the noise was very dependent on torque applied. A hard start would cause the flex plate to hit while backing off the throttle would cause it to not hit and thus no noise. Just FYI if you are experiencing something similiar.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a flex plate rubbing problem once and it was similar to your symptoms. One noticeable thing was that the noise was very dependent on torque applied. A hard start would cause the flex plate to hit while backing off the throttle would cause it to not hit and thus no noise. Just FYI if you are experiencing something similiar.
That exactly my symptoms. But would it go quiet after 2 to 3 minutes of driving?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That exactly my symptoms. But would it go quiet after 2 to 3 minutes of driving?
Mine was intermittent and wasn't predictable. Perhaps something warms up and tightens after a few minutes. You might also want to check your trans fluid level. Maybe it is low when cold and that is causing the torque converter to wobble a bit or something. I'm really guessing here but if you have a lot of miles on the car it would be a good idea to check anyway.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
You can probably see or almost see the flex plate through the gap near the joint between the engine and trans but I'm not sure about that. If you took the starter off you could probably get a good look.
But....I don't know of anything that would bend the flex plate after all these years unless you engaged the starter while the engine was running or something. And if it is damaged, you certainly can't change it without dropping the trans.

In my case, I had this happen immediately after I swapped my AT. In a few weeks, the noise went away. I assume it was hitting a thin aluminum heat shield between the engine and trans and that I bent the heat shield during installation but eventually it wore down until it didn't make contact anymore. I never bothered to look to find out but that was several years and thousands of miles ago and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
My AWM 1.8T does the same thing if temps are below 35F and, like you said in the OP, I don't give it 20-30 seconds when I first crank it to let the oil circulate everywhere.

The AEB 1.8T hasn't ever had that issue even at 35F, but I've run synthetic in the AEB since day one. Not sure about what's been in the AWM, so the oil pump intake screen may not be 100% (as new) clear, due to previous owners possibly "Jiffy Lubing" an oil chg.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I suggest you check all heat shields and anything else that might rattle.
Check for a small exhaust leak, and check the turbo bypass valve and for any leaks in that area.
If you don't find the problem, remove the starter and check the flex plate for cracks or loose bolts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts