Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 1.8T 5MT ATW

My car has recently begun making a noise similar to having something stuck in my tire. I can only hear it when decelerating or when braking. Its frequency increases with speed and is kind of like a clunking or sounds like something rubbing each wheel rotation. I checked out my tires and can't find anything sticking out of them visually - I'm gonna put my non snow tires on tonight and see if that fixes it. I had the belly pan off, but put it back on last night and that didn't fix the problem. It seems to come from the front left, but that might just be the "easiest" way to hear it so it appears to be coming through my window. Any suggestions? I've heard that a sound similar to this can be caused by a wastegate rod or something? How would I check if mine is shot?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I should have mentioned that I fixed it. I put snow tires on about a week ago, and the front drivers side wheel was sitting cocked on the hub so when I was driving the wheel was wobbling and causing this god awful (and scary) noise. I'm really glad it wasn't anything complicated though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.