Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
b5 glx tiptronic 2.8

when accelerating there is no noise or slipping, but when i am coming to a stop, i notice every time the car downshifts to the next gear, i get a thump/clunk noise and i can feel the car kinda jerk/kick back. its not super violent or anything but its definitely more than noticeable and its been like this for over a year now.
its not really getting any worse, but i'd like to solve this issue and fix it, OR, if its transmission related, start saving for a trans swap.

i really only feel it from 3rd to 1st gear when car is naturally downshifting in automatic mode.

i googled and searched, and found people with similar issues BUT those threads never got any answers, nor have the people replied back if they had fixed it or not. they just kinda left it alone.

anyone know what the issue could be here? its like a double thump/clunk each gear. when slowing down i'll get a "thump thump" then when its time for the next gear down it does the same thump thump. i'm hoping its just some mounts. if its the trans that'll be just awesome.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
I'd check the mounts, especially the snub mount.

Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd check the mounts, especially the snub mount.

Has the tranny fluid ever been changed?
Atf never been changed. It's at 145k miles so i dont think it's wise to change it now.
I'll check those mounts. I'm hoping that's all it is.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,884 Posts
My first thought was mounts. either the snub as mentioned previously, or the trans mounts themselves. (my money is on snub)

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
My first thought was mounts. either the snub as mentioned previously, or the trans mounts themselves. (my money is on snub)
My money s on the mount missing.
Had one disintegrate on a friends car. rotted away, symptoms you describe.

·
13,884 Posts
My money s on the mount missing.
Had one disintegrate on a friends car. rotted away, symptoms you describe.
Completely plausible, when I replaced my OEM snub, it was rotted pretty badly, looked like a muffin that had been sitting out for too long.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pita to replace snub and trans mounts?
i'll look up some DIY's but just wanted some input from everyone here thats done them before.
how long would it take/difficulty level/etc.. so i know if i can do it all in a day.

·
13,884 Posts
i'll look up some DIY's but just wanted some input from everyone here thats done them before.
how long would it take/difficulty level/etc.. so i know if i can do it all in a day.
Depends on your car, on my b5 I didn't even remove the front bumper, on the 5.5 I had to put the car into the service position. It's not difficult to do if you follow the DIY, for the 5.5 it took me about 2 hours my first try. (going slow as a turtle) Trans mounts are pretty easy as well, the key is to have proper tools to reach the bolts.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,164 Posts
On a V6 the snub post is bolted onto the crossmember, so no service position is needed. But on the 1.8T, that crosstube is part of the intake air path. So the post is welded, and you need to go to service position to change the mount. Get a Stern poly mount.

The two tranny mounts are pretty easy, but the long bolt in (at least) the right one can be a pain to get up and out--there's a heat shield above it that you need to bend all out of shape. And of course you need to get the bolt back in for the new mount. I am usure of the left side, as I have only done the manual mounts, and that side is different for the two trannies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts