1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
358 Posts
450 must be new...i like. i almost went with the 415 but ended up buying new feet and keeping my old bars for my yakima rack.

450 might cause less wind noise and easier to remove.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The 450 definitely is new.

I have the 415 and have had no issues.

They grip like a mofo and along with the Velo Vise are a super secure way of carrying a bike. I've heard of hitting 100 mph (allegedly :p ) and the bike nor rack moves at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I am thinking I might go w/ the 450. LLbean site shows them with a "New" graphic next to the pic. The only thing holding me back now is that they attach to the rails with some sort of rubber padded metal strap, and I am questioning the use of that over the vise like screw down grip of the 415. I can't tell from the pics, but it looks also like they might give the bars a higher ride off the roof than the 415 feet. No question at all that they do look prettier.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have worked (and still work) at a bike shop. I have been selling Thule stuff for almost six years now. Get the 415 kit. . . it's designed to work on the VW's railings. The 450 kit is a way for Thule to make fewer kits that fit more cars. The 450 is a strap type clamp thing (haven't seen it in real life yet to explain better), it is designed to be more universal. You will get a much better fit from the 415 kit. Hope this helps.

Woody

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang Woody, :bow: I was about to order too...
Now I am going to have to visit a bike shop that has both in stock to make sure I do this right. I was wondering about that strap type system. I'll be back with my findings.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thule 415 or 450

Can we get a testimony for those who have the 450? Is it as stable as the 415, even though it's a more "universal" attachment system?

The reusability factor is attractive, if the seal is as good.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the 751xt. I'm guessing you did not consider this because it comes with integrated load bars, so you would not be able to re-use your current bars. Anyway, I've been very happy with this rack. The main thing I like about it is that it is VERY easy to put on and remove -- just a couple of minutes or less. If you don't want to leave your rack on the car 100% of the time, this is something to consider.

You should read the installation instructions for each of the systems you are considering, to get an idea of how much work it is to install and remove. With the 751, you just twist the knobs attached to the end of the load bars, then lift the rack off.

The 751 clamps the railings from each side like a vise, similar to the 415 I think. To me, that seems like a much stronger system than the 450's strap.

·
Registered
142 Posts
751xt

I picked up the 751xt last year and must say it's a nice system. Quick on and off without the worry's of having the feet slide down the bars (possibly hitting your hands) while carrying the bars to/from the vehicle. No end caps to lose and integrated locks. Handles A LOT of weight.
I've had many thule systems throughout the years. If you are worried about having the integrated bars... let me say I've seen two things. Either sagging bars or feet with it's paint peeling not to mention both will fade over the years. So when it comes time to either replace the feet or bars, the new doesn't look too good with the old.
You will pick up wind noise, strangely enough it seems to be less of an issue with something on the rack, especially a ski box. Don't know if the faring really helps or not, I didn't really like the thought of anything touching my roof, nor was I crazy about putting those protective stickers on the paint.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the 751 discontinued? It's not listed as prominently at the Thuleracks.com site. I found one in inventory at the local REI for $200... but this makes it a bit more expensive than going the foot/bar ala carte method.
I'm also considering a Yakima lowrider, since the idea of a lower profile is appealing to me. Trying to figure where to get the best deal on one of these choices... that's probably what I'll end up choosing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.