Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Passat to Pep Boys to have clutch replaced (I know, I know). Paid $1600. Car comes back with throttle position errors, CEL wasn't on before. They give me some (I assume) bs about how the throttle body is dirty. Car doesn't accelerate properly, jerks somehow, not sure how to phrase it. In neutral, when you rev it, suddenly it stops accelerating and then resumes again.

Reading Bentley now. There seems to be some indication that disconnecting batter f***s the settings and something needs to be adjusted with VAG. Is this correct? Also, if anyone knows of a thread on how to get to the throttle body with pics, I would appreciate it. I found some, but pics are dead. Seems like a ton of work since it's in the back of the engine under the cluster**** of EVAP and other sensor stuff."

edit: 2 separate throttle position sensors? One at pedal and a normal one in throttle body?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,899 Posts
if you have a 99 V6, you do not have a throttle position sensor at the pedal, as your car is drive by cable. you may have to do a TBA, but try putting the key in the ignition, turning it to the On position (but do not turn it to start). wait approximately 2 minutes. then start the car, and see if the TBA took.

if the TBA did not take, VAG-COM may be required to perform the TBA.

if you want to clean the TBA, you have to remove the intake plenum (two clamps, phillips screwdriver). moving closer to the back of he engine, next is the hard plastic intake plenum. it's been a while, I do not remember how it is fastened down. after you remove the plenum, you can get to the TB. I never removed it; instead, I cleaned it in place as I held the butterfly open. spray TB cleaner on a rag, stuff it in there while holding the butterfly open, and twist it around. then insert on the other side of the butterfly, and repeat.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay, I have been outside working on it since I posted this. Well, mostly sitting in my garage with the Bentley manual. I can't imagine reaching in there even with that last plastic thing off. Will give it a try though.

edit for anyone reading this later:

To take off the intake air elbow (page H24-11):
1. Unscrew screw on top and take out Intake Air Temperature sensor.
2. Unscrew bolt in the rear, on the right side of elbow.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am pretty sure that there is an old TSB about that issue. I don't remember what the fix is. My guess would be repin the connector at the throttle body.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got the same issue with a friends 99 Passat. Wouldn't idle & when trying to bring up rpm's would hit a dead spot if rpms could be got up over that spot engine would rev up but sounds labored. Got code that indicated a bad throttle position sensor so a new throttle body and throttle position sensor have been replaced. Engine will now idle but still has dead spot when bringing up rpms. My question is if the key on for 2 min then start realignment doesnt work and the VAG has to be done has anyone used the app that's available so your supposed to be able to perform the VAG with a smart phone, android & others. Curious how the phone and car connect to achieve this ? Is there some sort of interphase you have to get or ?? I havent checked but iui s it possible to get a proper tool made for doing the VAG without going broke. It seems like it would be expensive to get. Any info would be a great help and appreciated !!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The most cost effective tool with all capabilities is VCDS. The enthusiast version allows you to connect to 3 ($199) or 10 ($299) different cars (VINs). Use with a PC: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/
VCDS will let you log in to all the modules on VW or Audi vehicles and read live values, do output tests, even change coding--anything the dealer tool can do (except recode keys).

Any app will need a hardware interface, which will plug in to the OBD2 port, they typically Bluetooth to the phone/tablet. I have OBDLink MX that works well. I've used it without issue on VW, Audi, and Chrysler products.

The Torque app, for example, lets you read and clear codes, but that's about all. I don't know if there are any apps that let you initiate the throttle body calibration. I'll let others chime in.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
As far as any other software or app out there, I'm not savvy to any of those other than VCDS witch I have/use. The software is free to download. What costs the money is the interface that allows what level of the software to function at. As FrescoGreen01.5 states the prices are correct for those levels of functionality.
It is my understanding that VCDS is the only software that does actual adaptions and coding. The other software or apps just read/monitor and offer simple resetting of some codes.
Maybe others can chime in to either support or correct my statements.

If your not interested in buying any software or interface because you don't own a VW or don't work on them enough to justify spending the money, I would try and find somebody local that has the PRO version of VCDS and ask them if they would be willing to do a throttle adaptation.

I have the PRO version and I have done all sorts of favors for people that have come to me.
We used to have a VAG locator here on this site. Don't know where that's at now or how accurate it is anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts