Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While replacing my cabin filter I noticed that my throttle cable has a ripped portion off of its sleeve and that area has become rusty. Anything to worry about? I wonder if that can be replaced under the 100k warranty?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pancreas, I was fully expecting that question from someone on the board as I am probably only a hand full that have a "cable" and not a DBW Passat! :)

Go...go...1998-1999 Passats! The evil years...although I wonder as I haven't had quite the recalls that the Y2K+ cars have had. That button on heat shield sure gets a bad rap around here ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
if you can see rust on the cable i'd replace it... there are two reasons:

1) if water gets between the cable and the metal part of the housing it can either rust together, or freeze causing the cable to stick or freeze.

2) water will react with the cable grease which will make the cable move less freely in the housing

hopefully it will be a cheap part, i know for my bunny and my corrado they're only like $20 with a 10 min install.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
"The evil years..."

Come on.... My 99 has 120,000+ miles on her and I don't have this problem and it came with the updated heat shield too. '98's on the other hand. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danteshors, "The Evil Years" refers to a lot of peoples opinon that the years 1998-1999 are crap, bug ridden vehicles. I tend to think that we really do not have as many problems as the Y2k's+ have had with front suspension problems, bad coilpacks, shorter warranties, etc.

I am pro 1998-1999 ;)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Mine has the same thing. Kind of split on the surface rubber, but the lower guide tube okay. Haven't replaced it yet.

Typical 98-99 Passat Owner: What's limp home mode? :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
Rusty
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing