Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am assisting a friend with his car. When the throttle body flap is moved, there is no corresponding change any block value. A change in the accelerator/throttle position is registered in the various block value. After cleaning the electronics on the throttle body position sensor have made no difference. Is there a way the signals to and from the throttle body can be checked or are there other suggestions as to where to troubleshoot?

Doug

4 Faults Found:
16506 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)
P0122 - 002 - Signal too Low
16606 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle (G188)
P0222 - 002 - Signal Too Low
17967 - Throttle Body (J338)
P1559 - 002 - Fault in basic settings
16497 - Intake Air Temp. Sensor (G42)
P0113 - 002 - Signal too High
Readiness: 0110 1101
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0104
Coding: 0021122
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 3A71CD5E7504FAC82F8
1 Fault Found:
01314 - Engine Control Module
013 - Check DTC Memory
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a way to apply external voltage to the throttle body and get the flap to move or measure the resistance to determine the flap position?

BTW, this is for a MK5 Jetta and I am getting no response on Vortex for this.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Assuming your throttle body is the same (below based on 1.8T AWM):
The throttle body has a motor and two potentiometers (pots) (mechanically in parallel, but maybe not the same resistance).

Electrically, the motor has two wires, connector pins 3 & 5.

The pots are wired in parallel to pins 2 (+) and 6 (-) to a nominal 5 VDC power supply from the ECM.
The wiper of each pot is wired separately and goes through a resistor and then back to the ECM (pins 1 & 4). The voltage on those pins would vary with position from 0 to 5 V with everything hooked up and working right.

Bentley tells you to check for the 5VDC from the ECM (on the harness-side connector). Without that voltage, the ECM will see 0 volts all the time on both pots, which would explain the first three fault codes you've got. But if that's the trouble, it's an ECM issue :(. Bentley says to check the wires back to the ECM, which is reasonable, but a long shot...

·
Moderate Moderator
16,485 Posts
Ohm out the wires from the throttle body to the ECM. The pinout should be in the Bentley schematics. If some wires show bad continuity or excessive resistance, that's your problem. As posted above, first check for the 5v feed going to the throttle position sensor section of the throttle body.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This ended up being a bad throttle body. The voltage from the ECU across pins 2-6 was 4.88VDC and the voltage to ground of 4.78, so the throttle body was replaced. Cleared the codes, did an adaption, everything works. This just closes the loop.

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
The voltage you measured across pins 2-6 was correct, the voltage to ground is irrelevant. What other readings did you take, to lead you
to the conclusion that the TB was faulty?

It was probably OK and the TB adaptation cured your problem.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the accelerator pedal was pressed, the TB flap did not move. We could not clear the 16506 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69) P0122 - 002 - Signal too Low and 16606 - Angle Sensor 2 for Throttle (G188) P0222 - 002 - Signal Too Low errors, even after multiple attempts, a throttle body adaptation was impossible. Checked the resistance of all wires back to the ECU, all were good. reseated all connectors multiple times. Still could not clear the codes.

Upon changing throttle bodies, the flap moved immediately upon reconnecting the battery. When the accelerator pedal was pressed, the TB flap moved correspondingly. Cleared the codes, and had no problem performing the TBA. Car is running normally now, no CEL's

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up.

even after multiple attempts, a throttle body adaptation was impossible. Checked the resistance of all wires back to the ECU, all were good. reseated all connectors multiple times. Still could not clear the codes.

At the time of my previous post, I didn't have this information.

Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
ALL! I found a swolution to my 2013 Passat 2.5L EPC LIGHT DIAG CODE P0122 AND P0222, The error low input voltage at both sensors detected. ECU put car in Limp Mode like the 100's of others out there, which suggests bad Throttle Body TPS and or bad wiring. all wiring tested good. I thoughgt I would have to replace the Throttle Body as the sensor inside is not a serviceable part from VW. I could not find one local except for Dealer at $630.00! This car is out of warranty at 2013 with only 20K miles on it. Love the car and couldnt be happier till I got the epc of death light! Its dangerous for VW to kill the power like that to save the car? might kill the car and passengers had this happened in Rush hour! Anyways. since I had nothing to lose, I disconnected the throttle body and benched it in my shop. I opened the throttle body TPS Side cape and to my amazement this little wire had popped off the circuit board to the pigtail where tps connects to ECU. I am adding a pic for all to see. This is very poor engineering and I am appauled at the lack of trying to protect this circuit, that i am surprised any of them leave the factory. one cheaply "soldered" wire could have cost me $630.00! it most certainly would have if I would have taken to the dealership! They do not service that sensor and would have only replaced it and charged me over $1000 to replace. If a company is only going to offer complete replacement of the assembly.... by gosh make it durable and last 100K+ miles. It is bullcrap these companies are doing this this thoughtless engineering and charging outrageuous prices for what? Quality? Fine German Engineering my butt! Shame on you Volkswagen! I am more than disapointed in you! In this photo look closely at the bottom right where the 4 gold plated contacts are connected by three individual wires. That is what i found when I opened it. very cheaply done solders or glue that is in an extremely volatile are with extreme heat and vibration weith ever moving parts and air being sucked in the intake. It is really frustrataing and i hope this is not a sign of things to come. I get saving a dollar but come on! Get with it. You are not going to pull the wool over these eyes or catch me shelling out 1,000's of dollars believing in the "technicians" at VW. if i cannot trust the engineers, then the techs are not going to be any better.
8891.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts