Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a can of gumout at local auto store but it says You can't use it on turbocharged engines :???: according to the manual you spray it in in short bursts. I have always thought that to clean it you have to take it off and not by spraying it in while it sits tight? What should I be aware off before i start doing it?
Does cleaning of throttle body could imrpove gas mileage if it's really dirty?
I was trying to find any info with pics of how cleaning should be done since i'm a newbie to this but no luck/
Please help :weirdo:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dronek75 said:
I have bought a can of gumout at local auto store but it says You can't use it on turbocharged engines :???: according to the manual you spray it in in short bursts. I have always thought that to clean it you have to take it off and not by spraying it in while it sits tight? What should I be aware off before i start doing it?
Does cleaning of throttle body could imrpove gas mileage if it's really dirty?
I was trying to find any info with pics of how cleaning should be done since i'm a newbie to this but no luck/
Please help :weirdo:
My VW passat is a 99 year, 1.8T AEB engine with 70K on it

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ericpeterman said:
Here you go: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/throttlebody/

Forget about putting a new gasket on, unless you rip the old one.

BTW, how has your oil burning problem worked out?
Well I'm on the rinse phase now with non-synthetic oil after auto-rx treatment. Sometimes there is a blue puff after i start the engine on, especially after night, sometimes it doesn't show up at all, it's very weird. I'm going to the mechanic this week and will ask him to check it again with vag com and see if anything will come up. I want to clean up throttle body because latelly i have to step on gas really hard to get my B5 running and also it's slightly shaking, that's why i think it's a TB, car has 70K after all :)
Thanks for info and asking about the smoke

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cleaning the TB is easier than cleaning a toilet. 4 5mm bolts hold on the body. One clamp holds the hose to the TB. One electrical plug.

Remove the plug, Remove the Clamp, remove the TB and get to cleaning. Dont just spray the cleaner all over the TB it will destroy the electrical componet. Use a tooth brush and a little elbow grease... Very little...

While you are at it Change your Vaccume hoses. Also very easy... 15' from autozone pennies... This info is in the forums... Guys thanks for posting this info for me. My car is a god now that i have done this to it...

2000 1.8t with 65000 used for 7,800$... Pics will come.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ShrinerMonkey said:
You should use Throttle-Body cleaner NOT GUMOUT!
Ok so waht type of throttle body Cleaner are You guys recommend? and where eventually can i get it since GUMOUT that i got yesterday at local auto store even tho it says it's a throttle body cleaner is no good?
Thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
The Gumout should be fine as long as you take the TB OUT of the car and clean it. The main thing is don't try to squirt it in there when the engine is running as the Gumout is apparently not good for turbos. Don't squirt it into the intake manifold after you've pulled the TB off either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm gonna look tomorrow for that 3M stuff, and clean TB over weekend. My car was sitting at the long term parking on the airport for 10 days while i was on vacation, I got back last sunday, get with my wife into the car, turned the engine ON, and after i pushed the gas i have noticed that i have to do it quite hard to get the car moving, that was strange and it's been like it since then, also the RPM arrow when the car is not moving stays just above 800 and it's slightly moving up and down all the time (it's been like this for a good few months with RPM) plus I can feel shaking gas pedal under my foot while driving, especially with A/C on (feeling like I have bunch of running antz in my shoe). That's why i have a feeling that throttle body needs to be clenaed badly :weirdo:
But that's not ALL....lats few days i have noticed that after i turn the engine on I hear like ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sound from somewhere under the hood, which i don't hear while i drive (probobly because of all the noise outside, radio ON and so on together) :nervous: Is that some hose got messed up
:???:
Thanks
Greg

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
the site linked to above should do the trick. i have an '00, so i don't have a cable going to the throttle body. make sure to mark where the intake hose goes onto the throttle body. also, you should get a new gasket. mine was stuck on the intake, and i had to scrape it off with a razor. after done, do a throttle body adaptation, if you have a vag.

if the idle isn't holding, then you might have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
D.Passat00 said:
the site linked to above should do the trick. i have an '00, so i don't have a cable going to the throttle body. make sure to mark where the intake hose goes onto the throttle body. also, you should get a new gasket. mine was stuck on the intake, and i had to scrape it off with a razor. after done, do a throttle body adaptation, if you have a vag.

I don't have a vag yet, will this adapt by it self without vag?
Thanks

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
dronek75 said:
D.Passat00 said:

I don't have a vag yet, will this adapt by it self without vag?
Thanks
i think there might be a method, but i prefer to do it with a vag.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.