Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts that discuss cleaning the throttle body, but I haven't seen a how-to for this. How is this done? How often should it be done, or (instead) hwne do we know when it should be done?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i'd say it really depends on how many miles you do in a year but i figure about once a year is good.to do this its not very hard.
here are the steps:
1.unhook negative battery terminal
2.take the upper intercooler hose off
3.unhook both connectors on the throttle body
4.take the 4 allen head bolts off
5.carefully take the tb off.
6.get a can off tb cleaner or brake clean and spray it out, do not srape with a blade or anything sharp.
7 reassemble the unit.

i might have forgtten a step for the removal, i did it a while back.
Pm me if you run into problems :wink:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I haven't checked close enough to see if this is possible on my B5, but cleaning the throttle body on my wife's Saturn is as easy as removing the intake hose from the throttle body, starting the engine, and spraying Carburator cleaner (make sure it's the flammable kind, non-flam carb cleaner is a little silly and not as effective) while manually revving the engine right there at the butterfly valve. The engine will suck in carb cleaner and scunge for easy disposal.

Again, haven't tried this with my B5 yet, but it's on the agenda.

I don't know if this would work for DBW folks.

I've done it with the engine off, not removing the throttle body, and using a rag to wipe out the scunge and succeeded in flooding the engine :mad: . Still, the throttlebody was clean :lol:

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
NotAPreppie said:
I haven't checked close enough to see if this is possible on my B5, but cleaning the throttle body on my wife's Saturn is as easy as removing the intake hose from the throttle body, starting the engine, and spraying Carburator cleaner (make sure it's the flammable kind, non-flam carb cleaner is a little silly and not as effective) while manually revving the engine right there at the butterfly valve. The engine will suck in carb cleaner and scunge for easy disposal.

Again, haven't tried this with my B5 yet, but it's on the agenda.

I don't know if this would work for DBW folks.

I've done it with the engine off, not removing the throttle body, and using a rag to wipe out the scunge and succeeded in flooding the engine :mad: . Still, the throttlebody was clean :lol:
That isn't cleaning so much as wetting with cleaner.

Take it off and do it right.

·
Registered
347 Posts
final step:
after you reassemble, make sure to allign the TB or you could be running a little rough after...when you've reconnected the neg terminal on the battery, turn key to on without starting (keep radio off for silence), you will hear the TB hum/whistle for about 10-15 seconds and then click...you are now good to go.

Now that the TB is reset, it will relearn your driving habits...so if you prefer a more spirited ride, drive it hard for the first couple of minutes after the reset. Otherwise, it will go back into "granny mode" and you'll want to reset her again in a month or two...

good luck :beer:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Sharky said:
That isn't cleaning so much as wetting with cleaner.

Take it off and do it right.
Funny thing about that... The throttle body on her car didn't have any scunge or crap left on it after I finished.

I guess YMMV and caveat lector apply.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Out intake system is the garbage disposal for the EVAP, crankcase breather, etc... lots of "schmutz" builds up over time.

The directions above look good - add one more thing: if the gasket is stuck to the manifold or TB, scrape it off, clean everything, and use a new TB gasket - less than $2 at the dealer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input! It sounds pretty easy, though not something to do every other oil change. I'm guessing that the symptoms of a dirty TB are rough/uneven idle. Does this sound right? So far, everything is just fine with my 2003 1.8T and my wife's 2001 1.8T. I hav a friend with a V6, and the TB for that engine appears to buried somwhere nearly inaccessible. Glad I have a 1.8T!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
klelmore
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing