Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Throttle Body Cleaner

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  2.0GTI 
#1 ·
Where can I find this cleaner? Or more so is this procedure offered by the dealer?

I am thinking I should do this on my 2002 1.8T. I have 50,000 kms on it now..been chipped for 30,000 kms...

#4 ·
i didnt even take mine off, just shot some gunk brand tb cleaner up there (removing the hose of coarse) and it made my tires spin again. when i first got chipped my tires would spin all the time, after a while it stopped doing it. i used the tb cleaner (the whole can) on all my intake hoses, intercooler, and throttle body. whoooooooey!!! much bigger difference than i had expected. good luck, and its easier than you think, no need to spend big dough at the dealer.

#5 ·
OK I might attempt this myself, I am just not used to doing this stuff on my car, only thing i have done so far was to replace the headlight bulb.

whats the link to Taligent's Throttle Body Cleaning site?

#11 ·
Do I really need to take the throttle body out or i can just spray it? I normally use Techron Chevron after evry il change but I noticed my car has been sluggish lately...it definitely is due for an oil change

#13 ·
I bought this cleaner from the dealership. I am going to attempt to do this myself. The mechanic showed me how potent the cleaner is. sprayed it on grease and it melted it. :lol:

I am going to be careful on this. I heard a lot of people having problems after overspraying the throttle body. Will I be able to see how dirty the throttle plate is when I remove the hose?

#14 ·
Yes, you will be able to tell.

They never look totally corroded or anything, so don't expect that.

Just remember that the throttle plate must be able to completely shut off airflow, and so that means that ANY crud in there is making the tolerances too tight.

A cheap toothbrush is good to scrub around in there.

There is nothing wrong with holding the throttle plate open with your finger or a screwdriver as you clean it, either.

#15 ·
i went to canadian tire(auto part store) and i bought and did it myself in about 30 minutes :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.