Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Throttle body advices welcome...

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  RAH 
#1 ·
... I am about to clean my throttle body in the next few days and i just wanted to know if anyone had particular advices or any hint on doing it properly. I bought a new gasket for it and some throttle body cleaner, safe for o2 sensors and electronics. Anything else i need?. Anyone has some pics of doing this maintenance?. I looked for a write up in the information forum but nothing is there. Any help is appriciated :wink:

#2 ·
There's a vicious rumour you should avoid allowing the cleaning solution to get into the little axle holes that the butterfly valve pivots on. Something about the fluid harming the stepper motor. Just avoid drenching it with cleaner, and maybe use Q-tips around that particular area.

Also, avoid rotating the valve the wrong way.

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

#4 ·
^ that and lint-free cloth, spray cleaner onto cloth rather than TB, watchout for that machined edge - that is sharp.

Use the TB cleaner fluid to clean the stuck on pieces of gasket after you rip it off to see if it is good to be reused - good that you have one handy.

#6 ·
make sure you secure the hose back on when you are done tightly! I did mine half assed the first time and it blew off the TB on the highway! It sucked as I was KIA until my friend brought me a new temp worm clamp from Autozone. :weirdo:

#10 ·
Wow, thanks for all the advices and link, i really apriciate it. As far as Vag-com, goes after the cleaning, i'm sure i can call Cody251 and maybe borrow a little time of his, if he is available :thumbup: .

Thank you all :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.