Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I have the auto lights module installed and every time I get in or hop out of the car when the door opens it starts beeping since the lights are on. Is there a way to mute that sound so it doesnt go on ever again?
2) Which fuse is the one that allows the vag com to communicate with the car's obd. I know that once before I had a blown fuse which wouldn't let me access any of the car's modules but I fixed it, but now I seem to have the same problem "Port status ; OK , Interface: Not Found". (Fuse #12 is good)
3) Can the lenses of the facelifted 2004 headlights be changed (not the entire headlight assembly) for new bixenon projector lenses that have surfaced in online shopping stores?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
(2) Check with Ross-Tech, but a problem with the car usually causes a "no communication with controller" or something to that effect. Your message is about the computer and dongle not talking to each other, I think.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
1) Re-check wiring and propper operation.

2) Fuse #12 does supply 12 V to the OBDII port. Check fuse with meter, and check for volts on 2 of the OBDII pins.
Try the dongle in another car.
Check the "K" line, maybe a problem with the auto light wiring or other wiring that has been tampered with.

3) I don't believe there is any practical way to do that.

·
Registered
782 Posts
1) I would need to look thru VCDS (or, the 'coding' section of the Bentley) to confirm this, but... IIRC, you can't disable the 'lights on' warning.
Mine drives my wife bonkers - doesn't bother me, though (because, I know why it does it.)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1) Re-check wiring and propper operation.

2) Fuse #12 does supply 12 V to the OBDII port. Check fuse with meter, and check for volts on 2 of the OBDII pins.
Try the dongle in another car.
Check the "K" line, maybe a problem with the auto light wiring or other wiring that has been tampered with.

3) I don't believe there is any practical way to do that.
Wiring is all good but it is the lights on warning that beeps and I want to disable it

·
Registered
782 Posts
So, I had opportunity to poke thru 'adaptations' in VCDS (as well as review the coding options) this weekend, and....
It looks like the 'lights on' reminder cannot be disabled that way.

A review of the wiring diagrams could be done, see if 'lights on' is a dedicated input from the headlight switch (which could be removed), or if it uses the instrument lamps input (which, obviously, can't be removed.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have been all through the coding settings, there is indeed no way to disable the lights-on tone reminder.

As for the headlight lenses, if the expense can be spared I would not recommend the replacement lenses, taking headlights apart is always iffy and I would almost bet money there would be no way to actually mount the new lenses if one did safely disassemble the stock headlights... Instead, I have happened upon something fortunate in this regard; The TYC brand of replacement headlights(the version for stock halogens) available from RockAuto does not have freseneled lenses. This means that there is less light dispersed above the cutoff line, and in fact, even less than the stock headlights. I know this because the adjustment system broke in BOTH of my step-dad's headlights and the TYC ones are what they got replaced with. One day I want to toy around with getting a pair of those for my car and hopefully putting LEDs in them.

I say LEDs because as much as I like my 4300K HIDs, I think they're putting out UV light too because my headlights, after two years, can no longer be restored as they are yellowing on the inside of the plastic.

As an added bonus, the bulb retention system in the TYC ones is just like that in our stock H3 fog lights, a stiff wire lever/latch instead of that PITA ring-bracket-thing that the stock headlights use.

Here are some links to the headlights I'm talking about:

Driver Side
Passenger Side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts