Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In high school, I would wash my cars per usual and then use a California water blade when the car was to be dried, before going over finally with a cloth.

It definitely spared my cloth a lot of water pickup, and I never noticed any ill effects like scratching from the squeegie.

Are there down sides I'm unaware of? I just haven't seen anyone use it in their write-ups.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
YES! USE IT! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Seriously though, cuts drying time, no need for three or four towels (if you're using bath towels.) The rubber from the sqeegee will not hurt it IMO, unless you're dragging dirt along it. You can use the towel to wipe debris out of it if need be. Honestly, best investment for car washes I've made so far.

I didn't get the California one, I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCH4WZE?cache=30bd30b18004cb4c19bdc5095cfca52f&pi=SY200_QL40

Chemical Guys makes good stuff, and this one is high quality.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to be offensively flippant or anything, but my general attitude on the situation is-
if you are worried about dirt scratching your car AFTER you had JUST washed it, then you are not washing your car properly

·
Moderate Moderator
16,464 Posts
I wash my car outdoors. $hit happens, sometimes literally. :lol:
This is from the summer. I'd just finished washing the thing and some (most likely JDM fans) birds decorated it.:mad:

I'm not bashing the product as I have never used it. I guess a dirty chamois could scratch the finish too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Benefit I see is more of pushing water off the smooth surface vs rubbing the surface until the cloth picks it all up (but inevitably leaves the slightest haze of water droplets)

If anything, squeegie gets both dirt and water off as the water bunches up per swipe, whereas a cloth is likely to soak up the water around the dirt and leave the dirt drier and scratchier.

No, I don't have a water squeegie making company :)
Just want to scrutinize my method and see if there are downsides I haven't considered.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
I have never used it, but what I do is:

- unscrew the nozzle from the hose after finishing the car wash and put it over the center of the roof; the sheeting action removes a ton of the water on the car
- use a leaf blower and blow the remaining water off the car
- finally use a clean waffle weave microfiber cloth to finish up

No scratches at all. I am VERY particular about the finish on my car (ask some of the local PW'ers in my area) and have kept a swirl free black car for 13 years now.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I have never used it, but what I do is:

- unscrew the nozzle from the hose after finishing the car wash and put it over the center of the roof; the sheeting action removes a ton of the water on the car
- use a leaf blower and blow the remaining water off the car
- finally use a clean waffle weave microfiber cloth to finish up
The above is the proper way ... use the blade if you have no respect for your paint ... it WILL scratch ... if you have used one you will know it makes a squeaking noise as you draw it over your paint .. that's the friction .. now imagine 1 grain of grit on the surface .. there you go .. a long scratch you may not even notice until in the right angle in the sun . Minor but its there, over time you have a lot of micro marring which degrades the look of the clear.

McE... no matter how good you wash/rinse your car things can be left behind or a little wind and something can be blown on the car.

NoHollyWoodEnding ... detailers at dealerships etc are only interested in getting the cars washed and out as fast as possible .. no concern for the paint ..

Worst things on your paint for drying 1) chamois, 2)ShamWow, 3)Water Blades , 4) Sponge based drying towels

Best .. Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying towel combined with a leaf blower.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have used squeegees on windows before, but tend to avoid them on paint. If a particle of dirt gets on the blade, it will scratch the surface every time you swipe it. Though towels can get dirt in them too, they have deeper pile and are less likely to drag that dirt particle across your paint finish.

I use the same process as fookie, and it works brilliantly.

·
4,974 Posts
I've been using them in a pro detailing and tint shop for twenty years. Awesome tool.
Look for the
Spehar Whale Tail squeegee for doing mirrors.
Available at better tint su0ppliers everywhere. 44Tools.com | Spehar Tools
And again ... not on paint .. no matter what brand.

·
Confused
3,557 Posts
Honestly if I saw a detailer using any type of squeegie or water blade, I wouldn't have them touch my car.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Well, I've been using a silicon water blade to remove the bulk water off of cars for over 15 years with no damaging effects, or scratching to glass or paint. i then follow up with microfiber towels to finish drying. Now, using cheap terry cloth towels can cause LOTS of scratches and swirls. I mean really guys if you warshed the car properly there is nothing for the water blade to drag and scratch the car.
But, if you don't like the idea of a water blade, taking the nozzle off of the hose and sheeting water over the car also works pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
14,067 Posts
I used a California Water Blade for years on the B5 and I don't feel it ever scratched the car. My method when I used it was to run it down the panel then always through my fingers before I ran it down the car again.

·
4,974 Posts
I used a California Water Blade for years on the B5 and I don't feel it ever scratched the car. My method when I used it was to run it down the panel then always through my fingers before I ran it down the car again.
What color is your car?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts