Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone's thought on replacing spark plugs and coolant? The owners manual says replace spark plugs at 4 yrs/40K miles and doesn't say anything about coolant replacement but it's been suggested to me that I should replace both at 40K. I'm not sure that either is really necessary. Any thoughts?

By the way, replaced all vacuum lines to remedy check engine light and "Emission Workshop!" warning - thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Agreed - Bentely service manual say "Volkswagon does not require replacing the coolant as part of routine maintinence." I would not bother. You'll can do the coolant change with the TBelt and water pump service. Hopefully this is before 105k, and much closer to 60k.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
After owning my car for 18 months and purchasing it at 42K as a CPO I found my plugs looking like they were the original plugs from 1999. :shock: :mad: Silly of me to assume they would have checked then during the CPO inspection.

Tomorrow I will be installing 6 BOSCH Platnium +4's. They were cheaper then the OEM NGK's. I hope Sharky doesn't hunt me down... :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very good choice on the BOSCH Platinum +4s rpaller! I'll definitely go to those ones as well for I know BOSCH's platinum has given me incredible performance in my other cars before. Why settle for less than the best. Shaka62 - you shoudl go with these ones and I'm sure you won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
everyone that ive talked to has said that the +4's dont do much better than anything else as long as they are platinum

just dont get oem from the dealer ( mine tried to charge me 20 bucks a plug) and they are 4-6 bucks at track auto

also i would love to talk to who ever told you about the coolant
they must be thinking of the green stuff

just in case you dont know

GREEN AND PINK DONT MIX

·
Registered
499 Posts
The coolant is the same type that goes in diesel semi's that can go 300-400,000 miles or the "lifetime" of a passanger vehicle. I've got 115,000 mi. on a 99' and the coolant looks fine and will leave alone--the Tip tranny is another issue though :nervous:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.