Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I haven't listened in years, I caught a bit of IMUS the other day and whomever his guest was they were talking about Hillary in '08. The general thinking was that the country was so divided that getting the Democratic or Republican nomination was an automatic 45% of the vote with only that precious 10% swaying one way or the other from party lines.

The guest (Jay Severenson maybe? Not sure who he is) said that he thought Hillary was a shoe in for the Nom, and she'd easily pull most of the woman voters from the "Other 10% and walk to a win.

I honestly don't have a ton of issue with Hillary other then her relative lack of political experience. And honestly, you can certainly make a case that someone with NO political experience might be the change this country needs.

I know people think she's a bitch but I don't know her personally but I have seen a million times how a ball-busting man is a "tough guy" and a ball-busting woman is a "bitch" so I try not to get wrapped up in the name calling.

The Carpet bagger argument is moot IMO, no one seemed to mind Robert Kennedy and he followed that pat.

I'm still hoping for a genuine 3rd party candidate with a real shot. Or even better, I want Bill Bradley to run again, but I don't think that will happen.

It sounds like we can look forward to Kerry, Gore, and Gary Hart (yes, really) in the primaries.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Sporin said:
It sounds like we can look forward to Kerry, Gore, and Gary Hart (yes, really) in the primaries.
DUH! No wonder I've seen him on shows lately. BTW, you forgot Feingold.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I don't know if she'd be as much of a shoo-in as Jay Severenson feels. I think she's been labeled as being so far left that she won't necessarily appeal to as many middle voters as he thinks. I also don't think that the candidates would be fighting over the last 10% - I think that number is much larger.

I think the Republicans and Democrats can count on probably 25% each as a lock, and another 10% as a probable. I honestly believe the rest of the country really does have a tough time making up its mind at election time. I think a big part of that is because candidates that move far right and far left to secure the nomination of the party and then have to come back to the middle aren't really fooling any of these people and they don't really appeal to most of them. I think the division of the country is by and large because of the shouting from the wings and not truly reflective of the majority of Americans.

I also give women more credit than Jay does apparently. I don't think the majority of women are going to vote for Hillary just because she's a woman. I feel confident that the majority of women will vote for the person that they feel best represents them, whether they are male or female. If a woman on the ticket were such a lock, then we would have had Mondale and Ferraro as President and VP.

Personally, I'd like to see a truly viable third party candidate come along too. But not necessarily one that is just a more extreme version of what we have already. For example, Nader really appealled primarily to liberals, and had little appeal to conservatives. Instead, I'd much rather see someone that appeals to true independents. I don't know if that person could win, but I know I'd probably vote for them. I'd actually love to see a ticket that pulled a moderate from one side and a moderate from the other side and combined them - something like a McCain/Lieberman. Don't get me wrong, I'd probably not vote for a McCain Lieberman ticket, its just that those are the two most popular moderates currently and the ones that I thought most folks would know and be able to relate to.

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
I dunno. I think it's pretty sad that she may have a good chance just because she's a woman. I think Ferraro was before her time. More of a shock to the system.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,696 Posts
Right now he republicans are driving the bus. I tink it really depends how things go in tis fall's elections. I the republicans hold steady then it will not matter who the democrats nominate for president the republicans will win. However, if the democrats have a good showing this November then I think you will see a lot of old democrats come out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i used to be a democrat, raised in a democrat hosehold. but now i view them as bunch of pussys. i will never vote for a pro-war, white, christian

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
bravo Dan!

Hey what happened to Biden? I thought he was going to look for the nomination. I generally don't care for Democrats as they are too much a part of the problem but Biden works for me oddly...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sciteach said:
Couldn't help myself.:lol:
As opposed to a room temperature IQ georgie, trying to stick up for his daddy by enaging US in a war?

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
I don't think any woman is a lock on the women's vote because there's too damn many women in this country who would tell you, right to your face, that they think a woman isn't tough enough to run a country.

Sad but fact. That's not to say a woman couldn't win, but there are no guaranteed votes.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Sciteach said:
Couldn't help myself.:lol:
I'd hit it.

Oh, and Harvey. Stfu, percerptions and reality are two different things. Look at all the strong women being elected all over the world.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
AntWrig said:
I'd hit it.

Oh, and Harvey. Stfu, percerptions and reality are two different things. Look at all the strong women being elected all over the world.
STFU your own damn self. That's everywhere except in the good ole USA. Name a strong woman that the Conservative Republican base would vote for.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Harvey Wallbanger said:
STFU your own damn self. That's everywhere except in the good ole USA. Name a strong woman that the Conservative Republican base would vote for.
Condi Rice for VP with John McCain? I think that is one that they would support. I also think they could support Elizabeth Dole (not with any great fanfare though)

BTW...heard new polling data today. Will try to find the source and edit this post. Did a head to head between Hillary and McCain and Hillary and Guliani. McCain 50% Hillary 39%, Guliani 51% Hillary 39%.

·
Registered
27,572 Posts
I think too many people hate her for her to get elected. Not sure if the women would hold it against her when she did not dump her husband.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I expect a Republican McCain/Guiliani ticket.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I mean come on' This country is in shambles, am I the only one that can see this.Any changes to the other end of the spectrum from what we have is a step in the right direction. I'd vote for her in a heartbeat, if she can manage the country half as well as Bill she has my vote. I think there should be a complete and totally wipe out of the current presidential cabinet. The all need to resign!
Gas prices are freakin through the roof,, and for what? Better in was the hurricane, now....... what? Sorry to rant on about BUSH, ok, ok I'll calm down and get back to work

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
My personal thoughts on the matter are that the Bushies and the Clintons have now come to a secret agreement. They will have had control of the country from 1980-2016 if Hillary wins. And the American public will be poorer for it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
stupid question....but if Hillary runs for president, can she have Bill as a vice president? is there any rule that once a president you can't be a vice?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts