Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo failed about 4k ago, haven't had time to take to the shop since last week. Took it in, and they said yeah its done.

I have an extended warranty on the car, so I figured it would be covered.
However, my warranty company said they won't pay for it since I don't have any service records for the car. I change my own oil very regularly since I am chipped. They wanted oil receipts from my oil changes, which I obviously don't have anymore. So they look at it as I haven't changed the oil the 27k I have had the car so that is why the turbo failed.

Now, I know that say even if I never did change the oil there is a possiblity of failure. However, I know that a lot of people's were failing due to insufficient oil cooling due to poor design. They are sending an adjustor out to re-evaluate the turbo. But I don't know how to get them to budge. I know that there is probably a ton of coked oil in there, which is just due to crappy design of the cooling.

I need any advice on what I might be able to do. Or any similar stories. ANyone who has had a turbo go on their 98, please let me know what the exact cause was determined to be, and if there are any service bulletins put out by VW on the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This probably won't help, but my turbo went just after I purchased the car used. It was VW certified so they changed free of charge.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
It will fall under the VW emmisions warranty, dependant on your mileage and if you're the first owner or not. I'm the third owner on my '98, and they still did the repair under warranty because of the mileage. I'd def. check with your local dealership to see if you're still under warranty.

If you're out of the warranty, I've seen used & rebuilt turbo's going for fairly cheap here and even on that "e" auction site. Herman H has a writeup from replacing his turbo (and upgrading to a K04!) that shows how to do it. It's worth checking out even if you're not going to do the repair yourself.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you end up dishing out the cash for a new one.. buy a K04. I just spent 730 on an off the shelf K03 .. that same price or so I could be stomping around in a K04! Mine went a few hundred miles back. Was burning oil like nobody's business. Read my past posts for more insight.

Best of luck to you on your route to correct the problem.

Stephen.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I've had my '98 since it was new. My turbo died at least a year before I realized it. My APR chip still gave lots of torque, so it was only after I installed a boost gauge that I was certain it had died.

I've always changed my own oil and I use Mobile 1, so even though I also don't have the receipts, I'm sure my turbo oil lines are not coked up.

I took it to a dealer who cleared a code (from my recent battery installation) and said it was fixed. They also seemed to create (or help along) an exhaust leak in my Brullen system (my fault due to my installation and inadequate tightening of one of the downpipe bolts).

When I took the car back to them, they said I had a $270 exhaust leak repair that needed to be done in order for them to do any further testing on the turbo.

Well, I wasn't going to pay for the exhaust leak repair, and I wasn't going to pay another $89 'diagnostic' fee if I repaired the leak and then brought the car back to them.

I also expected them to try to void my warentee if they found out about the chip.

So I bought a used K03 for $300 and put it in myself using HermanH's "how to" writeup :bow: , along with my Bentley and Haynes manuals.

The next time I change my turbo, it will be to upgrade to a K04! :wink:

Good luck!

BTW: If you're not worried about the chip issue with your dealer, I strongly recommend that you find your "MAINTENENCE LOGBOOK" that has all your oil changes and mileage readings in it along with the dates they were done. I'm sure you'll find it if you look. :wink:
Your dealer/adjuster should accept that in lieu of the oil & filter receipts.
And if you decide to change your turbo yourself, I strongly recommend you invest in a good torque wrench.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I keep that log book very up to date, and actually faxed every page of it to the warranty company buy they said its not enough. They are really being pricks about this.
Does anyone else know where I can pick up a cheap K03 or maybe even K04 just in case. I really don't want to pay the 1100 its gonna cost the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Some extended warranty’s allow you to cancel your plan with a pro rated rate. If that’s the case you might want to do that and to help pay for new turbo. If they won’t pay for your turbo then they’re not going to pay for anything else engine related in the future. You should probably dump the warranty for some cash while you still can.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yourface said:
Yeah I keep that log book very up to date, and actually faxed every page of it to the warranty company buy they said its not enough. They are really being pricks about this.
Does anyone else know where I can pick up a cheap K03 or maybe even K04 just in case. I really don't want to pay the 1100 its gonna cost the dealer to do it.
I have a used K03 in perfect condition.
$200

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would cancel the warranty but there is only 10k left on it, and I forgot to mention that my tie rods, and ABS pump and control module have to be replaced to, so I still need the warranty to cover those expensive items.

$200
how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
how do i know if my turbo is broken

i bought a 2001 gls a month ago

and i think i should be hearing the turbo but i dont hear it at all

how can i know if its broken or not without taking it to the dealer

resko

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yourface said:
I would cancel the warranty but there is only 10k left on it, and I forgot to mention that my tie rods, and ABS pump and control module have to be replaced to, so I still need the warranty to cover those expensive items.

$200
how many miles are on it?
38,000 I'll take pics. Most used K03's I see for sale look all rusty and black. Not mine fairly clean on the outside.

HHPassatKY said:
how do i know if my turbo is broken

i bought a 2001 gls a month ago

and i think i should be hearing the turbo but i dont hear it at all

how can i know if its broken or not without taking it to the dealer

resko
Do you have a boost gauge??? Are you chipped??? Before I was chipped I could hardly hear my turbo. At only 5psi its not going to be loud.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Turbo on my 98 failed at around 50K. I was doing most of my oil changes at the dealer, but not all. My wastegate rod failed, which is a very common problem with the 98 turbo. Do a search on wastegate.

It was covered by the 100K warranty, no problem. If this is the problem with yours, it wouldn't be prevented by changing your oil regularly. I do remember that it seemed like my turbo was working correctly, since it spooled up. The dealer couldn't figure out if there was a problem until they hooked it up to a boost gauge. You should ask your dealer exactly what is wrong with your turbo.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
See the problem is, the dealer drove the car, and saw that I wasn't boosting. I have a boost gauge, so I could have told them that. They haven't actually pulled the turbo see EXACTLY why it failed, which is beyond me. They just told my warranty company that its not boosting, so my warranty company said that it failed due to lack of maintenance, which is crap :mad:
So I am waiting for an adjustor to go out and inspect this problem, along with the ABS, and tie rod issue tomorrow, to see what is going to be done. So unless he has the intelligence to say, "oh yeah, to correctly diagnose the problem the turbo should be pulled and inspected"
I am not going to pay the extra money for pulling the turbo and diagnosing it(which will be a lot) if the warranty people are just going to say no. So I need to convince them that is what they have to do in order to make a geniune decision.
In the meantime, I am still looking for any replacement turbos in case they won't cover it, so anyone who knows of k03s, k04s out there for sale, let me know.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
I have a K03-029 from 2001 AUG engine code. Part # 058 145 703 J. Latest version K03 for the Passat, fits all model years. Used 25K miles unchipped, 8K chipped, all synthetic oil changes. $250 shipped. PM me for any other info.

Of course, like I posted on your other thread, I'd put a new K04 in. The labor is the same and you'll have much more tuning upside. You'll never regret it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
Meltemie
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing