Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy coolant, how much do I need? I have about 1L left of one bottle and need more. Will another full bottle suffice? Also, do I just use the coolant straight from the bottle, or do I need to mix the coolant with water before I put it in the system. Also, before someone says it, I know to only use G12 coolant. I plan on picking some up from the dealer today.
-Mark

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It tells you on the bottle - 50/50 coolant and distilled water.

Depending on how cold, you can go 60/40 coolant/distilled water.

Those numbers are good if you are doing a complete flush, if you are topping off a little, you can use coolant only but ONLY if you are topping off a little - doesn't cost too much to dilute it anyway.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RL331 said:
It tells you on the bottle - 50/50 coolant and distilled water.
I looked all over the bottle and couldn't find it anywhere on there. Thanks for letting me know. I guess a gallon will do it then. After a coolant spill and draining the system, I'm left with about a gallon. Thanks again.

-Mark

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I swear it says in the back. You got the VW/Audi branded one right? I don't know, I'll check mine later. I'm not sure if the Pentosin branded one says it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
What year is your car and v6 or 1.8t. Coolant capacity is differant 00 1.8 is 7 liters 00 2.8 is 8 liters. From the factory it is 50/50 mix for the u.s.a. and 60/40 for canada

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I recently replaced my water pump and I used a 50/50 mix. I could have sworn I read it on the container but it might have been in the Bentley manual.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smith45 said:
What year is your car and v6 or 1.8t. Coolant capacity is differant 00 1.8 is 7 liters 00 2.8 is 8 liters. From the factory it is 50/50 mix for the u.s.a. and 60/40 for canada
1998 1.8t. BTW, I believe you guys. It sounds like a gallon of coolant and a gallon of water will be perfect. BTW, I'm in AZ, so the cold isn't an issue. The Haynes manual has a nice writeup on draining and refilling the system. They suggest removing the clamp from on of the heater core hoses (the one with the hole near the battery) sliding the hose back until the hole is past the fitting and filling the expansion tank until a bit of coolant comes out of the hole. Does that sound right? I've never done this before, but it makes sense to me.

-Mark

·
Registered
437 Posts
yeah that sounds right, but after you do that run the car until warmed up and check fluid level it should be at max when engine is at operating temp and between the min max lines when cold. FYI 98 1.8 5spd takes 5.6 liters and the auto is 6.2

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. That amount sounds about right. I followed the recommendations in the Haynes manual and it seems like about 5L (give or take) went into the system. The Haynes said to idle for 10min and then run at 2k rpm for 5 min. I then took it for a drive. No leaks last night and no leaks this AM.

Thanks for your help guys. My first coolant flush was a success.

-Mark

smith45 said:
yeah that sounds right, but after you do that run the car until warmed up and check fluid level it should be at max when engine is at operating temp and between the min max lines when cold. FYI 98 1.8 5spd takes 5.6 liters and the auto is 6.2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
mghunt
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing