Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
injectors-bosch-hdev-1-injector.jpg injector 2.jpg Anyone ever change out the white nylon (?) rings on the tips of the fuel injectors on a Passat 2.0t bpy?

My car is a 2007. I'm rebuilding the engine an went to reinstall the intake manifold. The gasket kit comes with these rings new so I took off the old one. The new ones are REALLY tough to get on. My issue is that once they are on they seem a bit loose ar they are looser than what was on there.

Is there a trick to installing them? Will they just get squashed in when I install the manifold ? I don't want to have some weird sealing problem with the injectors.

The ones I used were in the Felpro set. I noticed there is a kit available with these ings and new blue O rings for the connection to the fuel rail. I'm wondering if the VW ones are a little easier to work with maybe?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Answering my own questions again!

I tried getting one of the injectors to go into position in the head with the loose high pressure teflon sealing ring . It looked like it was being pushed out of the groove from the installation process when I looked at it. That's what I don't want.

I found that for $250 you can buy a SnapOn tool that is for installing these rings onto injectors. You put the ring on a conical rod and pull this onto the injector using a collar. Then there are two other collars that you use to shrink down the ring in the groove. I'm going to have my machinist friend make some of this stuff.

The instructions that come with the little seal kit from VW say place the ring on there using your fingers. I read a post from a mechanic online here he said he has done a bunch of them using a little socket somehow and none of the seals have failed.

injector.jpg injector 3.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to make my own installation kit for these guys. Its not too hard. We machined a conical rod that is 5/16" at the wide end with a collar that fits over it.

Using these tools is is pretty important as I found that you could easily nick the rings with your thumbnail when you install them by hand. Do to the high pressure I don't think that would be good over time.

The other key part is that you clamp down on these rings once the they in the injector groove. We used a piece of fuel line hose that fit over the injector and the ring an a pair of circular clamping pliers. If you don't have those just use a hose clamp!

My friend's sister is an engineer and she sells teflon rings for industry she said is is how you do it-you clamp them down after they are installed to confirm to what they are mounted on. That is what the 2cnd and 3rd collars are for in the Snao On kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts