Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been eagerly awaiting the 2016 CC. My plan has been to get either a Used 2-3 year old Audi A5 because it so beautiful or a new VW CC next summer and take my B5.5 off the road and maybe have it await my 14 yr olds future driving days. Now I don't no how I feel about this news but I know my wife is very upset about it and it will be a hard sell for her.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The cheating issue only involves VWs equipped with their TDI diesel engine. If you buy a 2016 CC with a gasoline-powered motor, you won't have anything to worry about since the recall to fix the over-polluting diesels won't affect you at all. And the CC is a good car - I got to drive one as a loaner back in 2008, when my '05 Passat was in the shop for repairs. The CC handles good, has great acceleration, and is one sweet-looking ride! I found myself wishing I could keep the car when that weekend was over, but since my Passat was fixed I had to take the loaner back.
You and your wife will be very happy with a gas-powered CC, believe me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The CC TDI uses slightly different technology that uses urea injection and is not part of the upcoming recall. Marketed under the "Bluemotion" trademark it uses urea from a separate tank and injects it into the exhaust stream as an additional catalyst in conjunction with the catalytic converter to reduce NOx emissions.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,288 Posts
No CC TDI in the US that I know of.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The concern is that the financial penalties associated with bringing the deficient cars into compliance could take the company down in America. I watched the C-SPAN questioning of the VW North America CEO and it was shocking how little he knew about possible solutions and timelines.....hopefully he was just holding that information close to his chest and not getting stonewalled by the home office.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Really? I'm sure there will be a hit to the company and shareholders.
But bring the company down in NA?
Tell me, they never landed on the moon either did they?

·
Registered
565 Posts
It may not bring the company down but it will take billions of dollars to settle the eventual lawsuits (individual and class-action) as well as penalties and also the cost of recalling and fixing the affected cars. The scandal will also bring much more governmental scrutiny to diesel cars (ALL cars probably) both here and in the world markets resulting in higher development and testing costs. Not a good thing.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
It may not bring the company down but it will take billions of dollars to settle the eventual lawsuits (individual and class-action) as well as penalties and also the cost of recalling and fixing the affected cars. The scandal will also bring much more governmental scrutiny to diesel cars (ALL cars probably) both here and in the world markets resulting in higher development and testing costs. Not a good thing.
Considering the ethical aspect of what was done, I do not believe a rogue engineer was operating on their own to fulfill some personal goal. Someone high on the food chain knew and as a result VW should be held responsible. Does the action warrant the same kind of repercussion as knowingly selling thousands of cars with faulty air bags, I say not. The auto industry should be held to a higher standard in my opinion in cases of vehicular safety and quality. Considering the number of vehicles on the road and the potential for injury to not strictly the operators, safe vehicles shouldn't be a concern.

If the ability exists for the industry to produce false readings imagine what that ability refocused for good could achieve.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It was clearly not "a few", as evidenced by the continuing purges at VW following the district attorney raids of their offices.

What boggles my mind is 2 things:
1. They did it so knowingly, rejecting an available option to license the Mercedes Bluetec technology.
2. They kept it up since 2008. Given their ridiculous reaction since being caught (actually, they were "caught" in 2014), they never worked very hard on a solution. I could potentially understand launching an engine design with the understanding "I'll fix it after my vacation", but 7 years? I know Europeans have long vacations, but not that long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts