Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife, her friend and a friend on mine are waiting for the valet to pull my 99 1.8T B5 around. I couple of minutes later, he arrives and we all get in. I had a couple of surprises waiting when I sat in the drivers seat. My CEL light was flashing and the car was idling rough???!!!???!!!
After I calmed down, I left for home. About a hour or so later I arrive at home. It was too late then, but the first thing I was going to do when I woke up was hit Club B5 for some insight. I search for CEL flashing, rough idling and was instantly rewarded with many posts. One in particular was very similar to my issue. The person that posted suggesteed going to Auto Zone to get a VAG-COM scan. His came back Cylinder # misfire- in other words COILPACK.

I went to AutoZone minutes later, and the guy that helped me was very cool. He scanned it and sure enough it came back with "Cylinder 2 misfire. He told me I could save some money by doing it myself. I popped the plastic head cover off (first time I've seen what's under it) and there lay the culprits, the four little coilpacks that have been the cause of so much grief for fellow 98-99 1.8T owners. It has got to be the coolest thing to having something go wrong with your car, search a forum, and find a solution to it almost immeaditely. I was going to take it to the stealership and they were definitely going to overcharge me for this quick and simple fix. I ordered my coil (for cylinder 2) for about 60 bucks. It comes in on Wednesday, I'll pop the cover, replace it, and get it VAG-COM'd again.

To all those that support this site by posting messages and giving suggestions, my hats off to you. I love my VW and a big part of why is a direct result of being a member of this club.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm also thinking that this is a bad ignition control module, not a coil pack. Do a search for "ICM" and "Test;" you can test it with an ohm meter.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Yup - agreed that it's probably the ICM.

Cheap from busdepot.com part number 4D090535 $115 (retail approx $300?)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Of all the things that can go wrong with an early AEB engined B5 (98-99) the coil packs aren't usually what you hear about. In fact that was one of the good things about the early cars. They usually don't go bad.

The ICM (or Ignition Control Module) is very likely the culprit. Those tend to go bad fairly often on the early cars. (I am knocking on wood as I type this as mine has never been an issue for my '99 1.8T!!! :nervous: :nervous: :nervous: )

But you are correct, this place is a wonderful resource. Maybe you did or maybe you didn't get the right part for your issue, but you will save a boat load over taking the car to the dealer and having them replace a simple part.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had a problem with my cylinder #2 and I did take it to the stealership (been there so many times that they don't even charge my diagnosis). what do you mean rough idling?!? If it is your cylinder that's been misfired, than the hole engine should vibrate even more with higher rpms! If the vibration is just on idling and than goes out when you step on the gas, than I think is something else. Can't remember now how much it was exactly, but I believe it cost me over 200 bux. :sad: .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
vwpwr
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing