Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that I'm probably going to be getting to go to a one day advanced driving school. A friend of mine's father is giving me the info so I don't know much yet. But from what I understand it's for newer drivers, its 70 bucks or so, and its in New Hampshire, and I get to bring the PASSAT (which should have chip and new springs by then) weeeeeeeeeee. I'm very excited, I'll keep you posted as this develops.

-Wapptor

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
and spend lots of money, my state needs it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heh...I was considering getting a new set of tires for the stock 15 inchers, anything reccomended? Price does matter, but since they'd be for this event I wanted a performance tire.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
205/50/15 Falken Azenis. :) The ultimate grip monster in street tires.

The Kumho MX is good too, but its a wee bit more expensive.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
They're cheap. $62 a piece from VulcanTire.com + $30 shipping for all four.

They honestly feel so good that you'd only want to take 'em off in the winter. Or when you don't want your car to look funny... :wink:

The tire diameter is about 1-2 inches shorter than stock, so you get better acceleration, a fast reading speedometer, LARGE amounts of wheel gap, and about 1 inch lower ride height.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
They're cheap tires... they aren't good for anything less than summertime autocrossing. High humidity will make them hydroplane. They're strictly for motorsports.

Forget the camera and unless you need new tires, you've got other things to worry about. You need to make sure your car will pass tech inspection and that means no leaks of any kind and at least a quarter inch of brake-pad left on all four corners. How old is your coolant? Brake fluid? Engine oil and filter?

Don't get me wrong. You're in for a great day and the price is super. You want to make sure your car is ready for the date; even on the stock suspension. You're the part of the car that's going to be improved by attending the event. You could go in a rented Geo Metro and learn a great deal. Just make sure your car is ready and listen to your instructors. You'll have a blast!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The tires arn't a bad idea, but personally I would prob pay a little extra to get the MX instead. I have a set of Azenis mounted on my eg hatch, and a set of Kumho MX mounted on my na miata. You'll prob pay like $80 premium for the MX, but they are a lot more versatile tire. Dry grip is a little less than the Azenis from my impression, but wet grip is also very good, and the tires are 3lbs lighter than the Azenis.

Also, I read in a lot of forum reviews that the Azenis while are very good when cold (hence prob an excellent choice for autoX), they can heat up pretty fast and get slippery on the track after extended lapping. The MX does not have this issue. Furthermore, I'm not sure if this is true, but it also seem the MX gets better mileage, so it could be a better deal in the long run.

In conclusion, the Azenis would prob be a really good tire for aggressive street dring and the auto-X (as long as it's dry). I live in SoCali, so it works for me. The MX would prob be a better choice for lapping, as well as wet conditions.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Wet grip isn't bad. :p

FWIW, I set my FTD when it was wet out on a day that was wet in the beginning of the day, and dry at the end of the day and took home the trophy for the class when all was said and done. Ignoring all the cones I hit (oops), times in the wet were within 1 second of those of those in the dry on a 45-50 second course. And I drove home through a rainstorm and never lost grip.

Standing water is your enemy, as is with any tire, but moreso w/ the Azenis. So drive carefully and you're fine. As long as you have more than 3/32's, I'd say you'd be fine through the rain. On wet pavement they're great.

And there's a reason the MX is lighter: it has a mushy sidewall. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
scotty_passat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing