Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

This isn't supposed to sag like this... (p)

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  DrewA 
#1 ·
I go to get in my car this afternoon, after school, and I see this:

(Those are pieces of duct tape that you can see, BTW. I stuck them on there when I left school so it wouldn't be flapping in the breeze the whole way home.)

Granted, it's 85° and the windows were all closed, save the vented sunroof. But still, I don't find this to be acceptable, and certainly don't want to drive around with it like this for very long. :thumbdow:
What kind of adhesive could I use to reaffix this piece back to where it should be? I was thinking silicone sealer (fish tank glue) or caulking of some kind...
Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Same thing happened to me. I tried rubber cement, but that won't hold in temperature fluctuations. I then used the gel-style super glue, that's been good for 6 months so far. FYI, the dealer said to replace the whole thing, I chose to ignore them.

#3 ·
Same thing happened to an ex-girlfriend's New Beetle. I used automotive strength Goop to stick it back on and it seemed to work well.

Michael

#5 ·
FYI, if the glue doesn't do the trick, a new one should run oh...about $46.64 from the dealer (been there done that). Just make sure they order the correct color for the correct door!

#7 ·
Just be cautious with the superglues though as some "super strong" forumals can burn through the thin layer of rubber and harden the outside of the stripe. I used 3M Apolstry and Emblem repair. Its a gel type glue, and it works great. The area that I applied it to has been strong ever since. Just be sure to apply a small amount to the surface as the more you have, the less strong the bond will be. Just an FYI.

#9 ·
Campy said:
I was thinking silicone sealer (fish tank glue) or caulking of some kind... Any ideas?
I think silicone is your best best. You can get the clear stuff at a Home Depot.

Silicone is great because it adheres, but can also be removed if necessary (unlike the superglues).
I used it extensively when mounting door and panel insulation and carpet in my '62 Cabrio.

#10 ·
i used industrial carpet tape. its the stuff they use to lay office carpeting, if you've ever seen it. it's paper thin, and sticks like mad! i cut a thin strip, applied it along the entire length of the trim, and stuck it on there. it's been holding for over a year now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.