Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
You really should consider basing your oil choice on compliance with the applicable VW standards in order to preserve your warranty protection.
VW502.00, 503.00, and 505.00 are usually the benchmark.
Especially important for turbo and W engines.
My W8 will be getting either Motul 8100 E-Tech or Elf Excellium LDX when it gets it next oil change - and from then on.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I'm way out of warranty and Rotella T is mighty tempting as its easily available for me. IIRC our resident tribologist AA gave a :thumbup: for Rotella T at one time (and she rarely gets involved in oil threads ...).

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa, you must be driving the heck out of a 2006 Passat in order to have 50,000 miles in a year!

I have to agree D.Passat00 and StewartGLX4Mo' about only using oils that meet VW/Audi standards. On the 1st oilchange on my 2006 4Mo' I ran Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Actually I have an '03 and I drive about 30K a year for work ... :thumbup:

·
Banned
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warrenty pretty much goes out the window when you upgrade turbo, Intake and Exhaust systems aswell as tunning.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Especially important for turbo and W engines.
Rotella T was originally deigned for diesel engines, most of which are turbos that run 20:1 compression ratios, etc. They require much higher tollerances than pretty much any road going gas engine.

I use Rotella T in my Passat, Benz, Jeep, KTM dirt bike, and lawn mower. Second choice is Mobil-1 because of lesser value and avaiability of the correct weight. Performace wise, they are the same.

I'm more concerned about having the right filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts