Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Had x-rays today of my neck as they suspect the problem is there. Some arthritis noticed and I will start 6 weeks of PT to strengthen the muscles. After that, an MRI (which they should already do) and decide what else is needed. They can't see the actual disc issues without an MRI, but insurance always wants the cheapest option done 1st. I've already had pinched nerves in my neck and lower back for years, I suspect this is worse.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have lower back issues too that would flare up. About 4 years ago I ended up getting this inversion table that makes me hang upside down. It actually has helped me. But on the other hand, my wife also has back issues, it hasn't helped her. She had to resort to other types of therapy to help her.

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The instructions for that look like you bend over on the machine, then fall and hit your head on the ground.

I had my 1st PT today. Most of the testing was good, until they checked neck movement side to side. Right: 27 degrees, to the Left: 57 degrees. It's been like that for a long time, don't know why.
Then they tried pressure on my spine while I was laying face down. They got near the center when it triggered an intercostal muscle cramp. That runs around the ribcage just below the pecs to the chest cartilage. It's very painful when it cramps and I let out a yell. Scared the hell out of them. It still hurts 12 hours later and it feels like bruised ribs or cracked cartilage. A pain pill and a couple of muscle relaxers helped a little. I tore part of that 25+ years go while sneezing and I used to have intermittent cramps in it for years.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
The instructions for that look like you bend over on the machine, then fall and hit your head on the ground.
:LOL:

I had my 1st PT today. Most of the testing was good, until they checked neck movement side to side. Right: 27 degrees, to the Left: 57 degrees. It's been like that for a long time, don't know why.
Then they tried pressure on my spine while I was laying face down. They got near the center when it triggered an intercostal muscle cramp. That runs around the ribcage just below the pecs to the chest cartilage. It's very painful when it cramps and I let out a yell. Scared the hell out of them. It still hurts 12 hours later and it feels like bruised ribs or cracked cartilage. A pain pill and a couple of muscle relaxers helped a little. I tore part of that 25+ years go while sneezing and I used to have intermittent cramps in it for years.
Holy cow Paul, do they suspect fused vertebra? Damn that sounds painful.
Sneezing for some people is no joke. I've heard about people breaking their ribs from sneezing.
I really hope there is some way you can get some relief from all of this.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I found this to be the best machine for lower back and neck issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks more like some medieval torture device.

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The Dr did not say what could be wrong, but they expect it starts in the neck. I suspect it's either a bone spur or a bulging disc. The PT don't diagnose, they just strengthen the area around the pain to allow the muscles to support the spine and neck better. My ribs hurt as much as yesterday, so it may take some time for that to heal.
I've had 2 other pinched nerves in my neck. One, (about 15 years ago) at the C3 vertebrae caused a numb spot on my right shoulder about the size of a baseball. The skin felt like it was hit with novocaine, no sense of feeling apart from rubbery skin. The edge of the area was very itchy and I could not stop scratching it. It eventually healed after several years.
The 2nd was more recent (maybe 5-6years) and caused a stiff neck and I had trouble turning my head to the left. I had trouble looking out the left side of the car and had shooting pain down the arm to tingling in my fingertips via the ulner nerve if I moved my head too far to the left. That has not bothered me in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have lower back issues too that would flare up. About 4 years ago I ended up getting this inversion table that makes me hang upside down. It actually has helped me. ..
This is the type of device I use. I had a bulging disc. Took a bit of time using this to get me back to feeling normal.

·
Registered
27,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can occasionally pop the joint where the pain is, but it does not feel too good when it happens. It works well on my neck and lower back when they bother me. I'll see what the PT has to offer, they really helped my wife recover from her shoulder surgery and a former pro hockey player that I know also had his post-shoulder rebuild therapy there as well.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts