Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2002 GLX with Tiptronic, FWD, & <30,000mi. With mixed driving the car is only getting ~ 20 mpg. I know enough about Audis to know the car should be getting better than this. Has anyone else had this problem? I used around a quarter of a tank in 75 miles, with close to 60 of that being highway miles.

·
Registered
831 Posts
what octane are you using? check air filter, airbox... tire inflation... that would be an easy start for a checklist. Then go from there...

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm getting about the same 20mpg mixed in my 04 with the same drivetrain and 14k miles. AC on all the time, and oem surf racks. About 28mpg pure highway driving. About 15mpg pure stop and go city driving.
There is another mpg thread (I think one is even specific to the V6)somewhere on this site if you look for it.

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I get 28 to 30 mpg with my V6 MT5 in mostly highway driving.
I'd check what NE_Passat'n suggested first.
are your plugs tannish-gray?
are you getting a CEL? if so, it could be a bad O2 sensor.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,

I just bought a 2003 v6 passat wagon 4-motion with 29,000 miles on it.

My first recorded fill up I 320 miles and got 22.5 MpG (city/highway combo)
Second recorded fill up 342 miles and I got 22.7 MPG (city/highway combo)
I filled it up a third time with 89 instead of hightest to see what kind of a difference it would make, and if the motor was happy with it or not.

When I bought the car I replaced, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, k/n air filter. Didn't do the plugs yet.

Thanks

SheeZ73

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I just bought a 2002 GLX with Tiptronic, FWD, & <30,000mi. With mixed driving the car is only getting ~ 20 mpg. I know enough about Audis to know the car should be getting better than this. Has anyone else had this problem? I used around a quarter of a tank in 75 miles, with close to 60 of that being highway miles.
no...............my 00 V-6 w/tip gets appx.26-27avg.w/high of 29-30mpg,untill winter temps/blends of fuel come out my 01 V-6 w/tip 4-motion awd avgs.24-25mpg w/high of 27-28 mpg,seen lows like your getting in all city driving butsound too low for combined ,.check it out,fuel type/grade, tire psi,air filter,airbox slush screen etc

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
What does mixed driving mean?
In many cases city driving inculdes freeway use, but its still city.
I get ~18mpg city with some freeway and 26-28 pure HWY depenbding on gas.
Note that winter gas wrecks havoc on my mpgs, dropping by about 2mpg. E10 also killed my milage by about 2mpg. If you state runs e-10 and is on winter gas (like MN), you could be seeing 4mpg less than "normal."

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
ah, you have a 4-mo. your best highway mileage will be around 26 mpg, and a mixture of city/highway will be right around what you said you have.
the cost of 91-93 octane is offset by the bettter mileage you will get from it. it's a wash to run 87 vs 93 octane - at 87 octane, your mileage will be worse.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
im guessing your last Audi was a 12V not a 30V
how is the tire pressure?
check the prescreen on the airbox, it is probally covered with crap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im guessing your last Audi was a 12V not a 30V
how is the tire pressure?
check the prescreen on the airbox, it is probally covered with crap.
You are right about me having a 12v Audi (93 100), but my dad had a 2.8 30v A6 quattro that got better mileage, it had a tip also. The check engine light just came on after I posted this. Tire pressure is 31, @ least it was a week ago when it got new tires on it. None of the tires are under inflated.

I'll be taking it back to where I bought it to have it scanned, no charge. Also the heater motor started making noise on the way home. I may just off this car, depending on how things go.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
The check engine light just came on after I posted this. Tire pressure is 31, @ least it was a week ago when it got new tires on it. None of the tires are under inflated.
you can do 32 up front 36 rear, will help with the steering also.
engine light is probally the temp sensor.
if it is black change it anayway to the green one.
also the type of tires you have will affect mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts